Thursday, October 9, 2008

Hip Hop Thursday Challenge Times Two

I'm home from work today so I had time to participate in two of the challenges posted in the Unity Stamp Co. forum on SCS.

The first challenge was to use stitching on a card. The base of the card was actually originally intended to be the start of my card for the Wednesday Unity Customer Challenge to make a non-A2 size card, but I ended up putting it aside and going another direction. I went back to it today and finished it for this challenge.

I stamped three of the figures from The “Boo” Crew set on a piece of white cardstock and colored them with Copic markers. I added some small wiggly eyes to the images for fun.

I stitched two different patterned papers on to the black card base using a zig zag stitch. I’m pleased to report that my sewing is definitely getting straighter. I thought that would never happen! I tied a piece of orange ribbon with orangey-yellow dots around the card for a pop of color, then layered the stamped image on the card.

I created a sentiment panel from two die cut ovals. It looked a little plain, so I embellished it with an iridescent black rhinestone.

Materials Used:
The “Boo” Crew (Unity Stamp Co.); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); white cardstock (Xerox); markers (Copic Ciao); patterned paper (My Favorite Things); ribbon (Morex); oval dies (Nestabilities); dimensionals (Stampin’ Up!); self-adhesive rhinestone (Michaels); wiggly eyes; sewing machine

The second challenge was to make a masculine card. I pulled out my Lovin' from the Oven kit and some masculine papers and colors to put this one together.

You're not seeing things here--there are two of the oven mitt images, facing in opposite directions. The kit only includes one mitt image. Here's the trick I used to get the second image--I stamped the image in black ink on a piece of acetate, then placed the rust cardstock over it and rubbed over it with a brayer. This transferred the image to the cardstock in reverse. The black lines weren't as dark as I would have liked, so I traced over them with a black marker for a little more emphasis.

I tried to keep the layout pretty simple and embellishment-free to make it more masculine, but a little ribbon snuck in. It is dark, dark brown, so that's kinda masculine, right? I stamped the Worn Grid background on the Sahara Sand cardfront for a little more masculine detail, too.

Materials Used:
Lovin' from the Oven stamp kit, Worn Grid background (Unity Stamp Co.); Sahara Sand and Really Rust Classic inks, Sahara Sand, Really Rust, More Mustard, and Very Vanilla cardstock, mat pack and paper piercing tool, word window punch, Basic Black marker, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); brown grosgrain ribbon (Morex); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); patterned paper (Creative Imaginations)

3 comments:

  1. cute googly-eyed critters! Awesome coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE! Love that Halloween card, and the sentiment on the 2nd card is so funny! Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha...love the critters and that sentiment cracks me up...hey hottie...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips