Friday, November 21, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 74

The theme for this week's blogger challenge is cards or projects with a "giving thanks" theme. Let me start by apologizing for the photos--I had a really hard time taking pictures of this since it's taller than what I usually photograph!

I found a small wood box at Michaels in the shape of a gift bag that I knew would be perfect for what I wanted to do for the challenge. I covered the box with fun striped paper from the Be Merry line from My Mind's Eye using some Mod Podge to adhere it. Since the box had mostly straight edges, it was pretty easy to trace and create a template to use. After the box dried, I smoothed out the rough edges, then added a strip of decorative pink pom pom trim along the bottom. While I waited for it to dry, I got to work on the flowers.


I used the new Nested Flower dies from Nestabilities (I got mine at i {heart} papers) to create a bunch of layered flowers to place in the box. I first embossed the coordinating cardstock pieces with the Cuttlebug Swiss Dot embossing folder, then cut out the flowers, then embossed their edges. In no time at all I had a bunch of flowers to mix, match, and layer. I attached them to wooden dowels using some sticky strip. I added a few leaves, too, using some ovals punched from green cardstock.

I made one large flower to place at the center of the "arrangement' to hold the sentiment. I stamped the thank you sentiment from the JustRite Designer Centers & Borders set on a piece of white cardstock and punched it out with a 1 3/4" circle punch. This piece was attached to the center of the largest flower.


I filled the box with some Hershey's Kisses, then carefully arranged the flowers inside the box. I think this makes a perfect gift for most everyone--except for me, since I don't really like chocolate!

For more inspiration and ideas, you can visit the other challenge participants. Links to their blogs are in the sidebar on the right. And, stop by i {heart} papers, too, to take advantage of the last two days of the 10% off sale (use code thanksTEN).

Materials Used:
From i {heart} papers: Be Merry Candy Stripes paper (My Mind's Eye); Designer Centers & Borders (JustRite); pink pom pom trim (May Arts); Nested Flower dies (Nestabilities)
other: Regal Rose Craft ink, Pink Pirouette, Soft Sky, Kiwi Kiss and Whisper White cardstock, 1 3/4" circle punch, pop up glue dots (Stampin' Up!); Swiss Dot embossing folder (Cuttlebug); small oval punch (EK Success); Mod Podge

20 comments:

  1. Lori, this is a super sweet thank you gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Love the colors you chose! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute and clever! I like the fact that you didn't use traditional fall colors and a Thanksgiving theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh FABULOUS! Such a cheery project - perfect Thank you gift! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great take on the challenge. Very cute and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun thank you! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful gift idea - love the embossed flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't like chocolate? You could always mail this to me!! LOL!!! It's a gorgeous way to thank someone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, This is so nice. Great project. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I am in awe of the total cuteness of this project...I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that you don't really like chocolate! What planet are you from?! LOL! jk!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is sooo sweet! (pun intended!!! lol!) this will make someone a very nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori, these are so, so cute. Everything I've seen from you are amazing! Hey, I left a comment on my blog for you.
    http://creationsbyar.blogspot.com

    Adela

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great gift, and surely well received. Great colours and I am in love with those blooms.

    :) Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute and fun project. It's very pretty. I'm speechless though about the fact you really don't care for chocolate. How odd! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are beautiful! This is adorable. I like the bright cheery colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty! I especially love the texture on each of the flowers! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute project! I like the texture on the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such an adorable project Lori! Those flowers turned out perfectly! Have a Happy Thanksgiving! :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips