Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Spinning Snowflake

I made this card for Kristina's latest color inspiration challenge. She picked colors based on an ad from Crate & Barrel. I walked by a Crate & Barrel just the other day (on a hopeless shopping trip to look for something to wear to my high school reunion this weekend . . .) and was marveling at the window display. Always fabulous! Anyway, the colors she pulled from the ad were Riding Hood Red, Sahara Sand (or a metallic as a substitute), Very Vanilla, and Whisper White.

I decided to use the snowflake image from Best Wishes & More to create a suspension card. I stamped the snowflake image in White Craft ink on a Riding Hood Red circle, then heat embossed it with white embossing powder. I layered the snowflake circle on a silver scalloped circle and added a rhinestone to the center of the snowflake.

I used the Cuttlebug Snowflake embossing folder to create the shimmery panel for the cardfront. I stamped the "ready, set, snow!" sentiment on the panel in White Craft ink, then heat embossed it so it would stand out.

For both the scalloped circles and the embossed panel on the cardfront, I used some metallic paper I picked up at Target. It's relatively inexpensive and a nice weight, but not as heavy as SU!'s metallic cardstock. Since it's less expensive, I don't feel the need to conserve it and use it quite as sparingly as I do my SU! brushed silver.

Materials Used:
Best Wishes & More stamp set, White craft ink, Riding Hood Red and Very Vanilla cardstock, scallop circle punch, Winter White embossing powder, sticky strip (Stampin' Up!); Snowflakes embossing folder (Cuttlebug); 1 1/2" circle punch (EK Success); circle die (Nestabilities); cream satin ribbon, silver paper (Target); self-adhesive rhinestone (Michaels); clear fishing line

10 comments:

  1. beautiful card - love that silver paper - love the simplicity and the richness - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Lori! Great find at Target!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome card. i'm not a big metallic person, but you card makes me want to get that silver paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet card Lori! Love what you did with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the colors and the card design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute...Donna from convention line! Have a Happy Thanksgiving Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful card - I am going to avoid black Friday at all costs - best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori, this is so pretty! I love that spinning snowflake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sparkly :) Super sweet card! Love that silver paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not yet tried a suspension card; but you've definitely given me the courage to give it a whirl.
    Your card is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips