Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Unity Challenge: Week 20

It's time for another Unity Addicts challenge. This week's challenge comes from Maria, the organizer of the challenges (thanks, Maria!). She challenged us to make a bookmark that represents something about a book--a current read, a favorite from now, a favorite from your childhood, whatever.

I wanted to use my new January Kit of the Month, Love Etc., so I kind of used that to shape what I came up with. My favorite books growing up were the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, so that's what my bookmark represents. I used the house image from the kit. It's stamped on white cardstock and colored with Copic markers.

To get the shaped bookmark, I cut the paper with my Nestabilities Labels 2 die. I folded the white cardstock and placed the die so that the top of the die extended slightly above the fold. This made it so that when I ran it through my Cuttlebug to cut the shape, the pieces remained intact, attached at the fold.

I attached two strips of magnetic tape inside the folded pieces. These will "stick" together when I slide the bookmark over the page in a book. I also added a strip of red grosgrain ribbon as a simple embellishment. I didn't want to add too much or anything bulky since I want to be able to close my book with the bookmark inside!

For more fun bookmark ideas, you can visit the rest of the Addicts. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
January Kit of the Month (Unity Stamp Co.); white cardstock (Xerox); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic Ciao); Cool Caribbean and Certainly Celery Classic ink, sponge (Stampin' Up!); red grosgrain ribbon (Michaels); Labels 2 dies (Nestabilities); magnetic tape

8 comments:

  1. Oh Lori...this is awesome!! May need to CASE this idea from you soon! Chloe has just gotten a Little House on the Prairie four book set for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH Little House! That's great this came out soo nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did with the nestability and the look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Lori this is just fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori.
    Love this. I loved that book series, too. Thanks for taking me down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips