Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Brown Bag Blog Hop


It’s time for another Papertrey Ink Blog Hop. This month’s theme is projects using brown paper bags. I almost didn’t participate this month because I had a really hard time coming up with a project idea. But, I really enjoy participating in these hops (so much that last month, I actually finished my blog hop post and added my link from a wireless hot-spot at a local Panera due to an extended power outage at my house after a major summer rain storm . . .), so I kept thinking until an idea finally formed.

Here’s what I came up with—a gift card holder that uses a tiny brown paper bag as a pocket for the card. I started by cutting a few inches off of the open end of the gift bag to better fit the small size of the gift card.


The outside of the gift card holder is decorated with PTI’s Dotty Biscotti paper and images from the Fillable Frames #6 set. I made my own birthday candles by stamping one of the dot strips from Polka Dot Basics on scraps of Aqua Mist cardstock in Hawaiian Shores ink, then adding glittery flames made from Lemon Tart cardstock scraps.

The gift card slides out and is revealed when the recipient pulls on the bow. The card is held securely in place with the Aqua Mist twill. I used a panel of Hawaiian Shores cardstock along with the library pocket die to create the insert. I covered the front of the pocket with a scrap of the Dotty Biscotti paper to tie the two pieces together.

Materials Used:
Fillable Frames #6 and Polka Dot Basics stamp sets, Hawaiian Shores ink, Hawaiian Shores, Aqua Mist, Lemon Tart, and Kraft cardstock, Dotty Biscotti patterned paper, Fillable Frames #6 and library pocket dies, Aqua Mist twill, Hawaiian Shores button, twine (Papertrey Ink); Dazzling Diamonds and horizontal slot punch (Stampin’ Up!); ¾” circle punch

45 comments:

  1. Lori this is so fun! I love the slide out! What a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how it slides out for your message and/or gift card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just wonderful!!! Fantastic project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute ...... and a great idea. The colors are FANTASTIC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I've made these with a chocolate bar, but didn't think of making them for GCs! Great thinking! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea. It's always fun to have an "interactive" card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the interactive card....I've never made one of these. This is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super fun! I know lots of grandchildren (and some older) that would love to receive one of these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun project, and I love the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Love the color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty & creative! What a neat idea :) TFS

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea!!! I love the color combo too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you did not give up on thinking of something for this blog hop. Your creation is wonderful! I love what you have done. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you participated again. This is very clever and I love it. What a cute way to get a GC. Love the Dottie as well. Cute stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Persistence pays off! What a cute project. Love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great color combo.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a cute project! Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty colors and great idea for a slideout!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very clever and I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the way the ribbon pulls the gift card out of the holder

    ReplyDelete
  22. So clever! I want to try this technique. I heard it's easy, but looks like alot of work went into it!

    Tree

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very clever & yes, perfect color combo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. SO cool...LOVE the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is very clever, Lori. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cute! Love how the holder pulls out!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So CUTE and such a FUN idea!
    Have a GREAT day.. Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great idea, Lori. Glad you took all that time thinking... you came up with a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Glad you decided to participate because this is super cute. I have made holders very similar for a packet of hot chocolate or popcorn but didn't even think of a gift card. Thanks for another great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE the colors! LOVE the gift card pull out! Best of ALL - LOVE the candles! Super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How fun! Great idea to make a gift card holder!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fun, fun, fun!!! I like it when gift cards are "dressed up" and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips