Friday, April 22, 2011

Friends with Flair: Owl Always

Happy Friday! I've been off of work all week, but I'm still glad to see Friday arrive. I'm heading out with some friends this morning to watch our hometown hockey team, the Washington Capitals, practice at their practice rink. This is the first time I've gone to a practice and I haven't gotten to any games this season, so I'm excited to see some hockey-like activity in person, especially after the team's dramatic, come from behind, overtime victory over the Rangers on Wednesday.

Here's my card for this week's Friends with Flair. It's a clean and simple one (I think you'll be seeing this layout again . . .) that includes a bird image per this month's Unity challenge.

I used the Owl Always Itty Bitty and matching sentiment as my focal image. The owls are stamped in brown ink on a piece of orange cardstock and cut out. It was bugging me that they didn't have eyes, so I went ahead and added them using tiny pearls.

I set a panel of patterned paper with shades of green, orange, and brown on the green cardfront, then layered the owls partially over it, using a dimensional dot to hold them in place. I stamped the matching sentiment on an orange strip and layered that over the opposite side of the patterned paper, adding some white pen faux stitching to anchor it. It's not my usual color combination, but I like how it turned out.

For more Unity inspiration, be sure to check out the full list of Friends with Flair players on the Unity blog.

Materials Used:
from i {heart} papers: Unity Stamp Co. Owl Always Itty Bitty, Tsukineko Memento Rich Cocoa ink, Zva Creative white pearl lines and dimensional dots, Jillibean Soup Dutch Mustard paper pad, Ranger Inkssentials white pen

other: Pumpkin Pie, Pear Pizazz, and Close to Cocoa cardstock (Stampin' Up!)

21 comments:

  1. What a great owl card! Love these colors and the eyes are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute card with the lovie owls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card! I'm a sucker for owls :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card! The colors are beautiful.

    Carol B
    ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This did turn out great! And the pearls for eyes are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun card! Great idea to use pearls for the owls' eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always drawn to CAS cards and this one is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great colors~ cute owls!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, this is adorable!!!! I love that saying and just haven't used it yet!!! hugs, Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  10. A really CUTE card! Love the owls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, super cute, Lori! You are always so inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great card! I love that you added the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable! Love the paper and the owls.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! Simple and ADORABLE! Thanks for playing along with Unity!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a great card. Love it. Thanks for participating in the Unity Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips