Monday, April 25, 2011

Out of this World

My card for today's SCS clean and simple challenge to use the artist's rule of threes ended up being an extension of Papertrey Ink's blog hop theme of cards for boys and men. I also took my inspiration from this week's PTI Make It Monday video that showed tricks for making an outline frame for your card.

I started with the frame, hand drawn on the Spring Rain panel. Before drawing the frame, I stamped the sentiment in Enchanted Evening ink in the upper left corner of the panel and the flame image in the lower right. This helped me to figure out where I wanted the frame positioned. I penciled in lines to use as guides and went for it. I think it actually came out fairly straight, which is a big achievement for me. I think if I were to do this over, I'd position the top of the sentiment a little lower so that it was level with the frame's corner . . .

After the frame was drawn in, I added color to the flames using Copic markers. For a fun sparkle, I added some Wild Honey Distress Stickles to the flame. I used the rocket image from Boy Basics: Out of this World again here. I die cut the rocket image, stamped it, and colored it. After adding a dome embellishment to the rocket's window, I attached it to the panel with foam tape. I arranged the die cut moon and stars, completing a cluster of three images. The panel is layered on an Enchanted Evening card base to set it off.

Materials Used:
Boy Basics: Out of this World stamp set, Enchanted Evening ink, Enchanted Evening, Spring Rain, Lemon Tart, and White cardstock, Rocket die (Papertrey Ink); Memento Tuxedo Black ink (Tsukineko); Vivid Straw ink (Colorsnap); Polka Dots embossing folder (Sizzix); Wild Honey Distress Stickles (Ranger); black pen

9 comments:

  1. I love your rocket coming out of the corner and the words at the top are just perfect! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great , love the rocker card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great masculine card. I like how the lines don't match up in your sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job Lori, that rocket is great,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card! I have this set and you have inspired me to pull it out again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very cute!!! Love the sentiment and the rocket!!! The border is absolutely perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! Caught my eye right away, of all the sets introduced last month this one is tempting . . .

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips