Monday, April 23, 2012

Birthday Blues

Here's my card for the final Viva la Verve sketch for April.  When I first saw this sketch, I wasn't quite sure how to tackle it, but once I had an idea in mind, it came together pretty quickly.

I made a mostly monochromatic masculine birthday card using the sketch. I used an aqua grid patterned paper to cover most of the cardfront.  The trio of darker blue geometric pieces on the cardfront were cut from a notch-edged strip.  I cut off the two smaller pieces from the notched end of the strip (the notch is on the left side of the piece, the matching cut's on the right), then flipped one of the small pieces over on to what was left of the strip and traced it to get a matching pointed piece (I know this probably doesn't sound clear, but it was easy to do, even for a spatially challenged person like me!).

After arranging the pieces on the grid patterned panel, I added  the "have a happy birthday" sentiment from Verve's Happy Days set.  The sentiment is stamped in blue ink on a white panel and layered on an aqua pinking edged circle.  A little button, tied with twine, is the only embellishment.  The geometric blocks at the bottom of the card add a lot of interest, so I didn't think I needed to add much else.

Materials Used:
Happy Days stamp set (Verve Stamps); Ocean Tides ink, Aqua Mist and Ocean Tides cardstock, Aqua Mist button (Papertrey Ink); Fresh Goods-Flower Basket designer paper (Pebbles); circle and pinking circle dies (Spellbinders); twine (Hemptique)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips