Thursday, June 25, 2015

MFT Summer School

I took a little time yesterday to play along with some of the Summer School lessons featured on the  My Favorite Things blog.  I tried out two of the design lessons when creating these two cards. 

Come Rain or Shine card-designed by Lori Tecler/Inking Aloud-stamps from My Favorite Things

Here's my card to demonstrate the use of line.  My machine stitched lines on the card's blue panel help draw the eye from the cluster of die cut images at the top of the card to the sentiment at the bottom.  The die cut images include pair of flat bottomed clouds cut from shimmery white cardstock and a cheery gingham sun tucked beneath the clouds.  I studded the stitched lines with sparkly silver sequin "raindrops," randomly placed along the lines.  The encouraging sentiment was stamped at the bottom of the panel in gray pigment ink.  I layered the finished panel on a soft gray card base.


Say Watt? card-designed by Lori Tecler/Inking Aloud-stamps and dies from My Favorite Things

And, this card demonstrates use of white space.  I used MFT's light bulb die to make a layered light bulb for my focal point.  I cut the bulb from both white cardstock and white vellum.  Layering the vellum on top gives the bulb a frosted look.  The shiny silver cardstock I used for the filament and the socket mirror the metallic look those pieces would have in a traditional bulb.  To set the white bulb off from the background, I did a yellow freeform watercolor wash on a piece of watercolor paper, mimicking the soft glow of a lit bulb.  I adhered the bulb to the panel with foam tape over several messy loops of silver thread.  I stamped the "say watt?" sentiment from the Watt's Up? set next to the bulb, then arranged a trio of sequins around the bulb for a little sparkle.  The finished panel was layered on a pale yellow card base.

Materials Used:
Grout Gray, Lemon Drop, and Summer Splash cardstock (My Favorite Things); Memento Luxe Gray Flannel ink (IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko); Shimmery White cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Lemon Tart patterned paper (Papertrey Ink); pinking circle die (Spellbinders); circle die (EK Success); silver sequins (Michaels); sewing machine; foam tape

Watt's Up stamp set, Lemon Chiffon cardstock, Die-namics Lightbulb die (My Favorite Things); Memento Luxe Tuxedo Black ink (IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko); silver paper (Target); white vellum (The Paper Company); watercolor paper (Ranger); watercolors, silver sequins, silver thread (Michaels); foam tape

1 comment:

  1. Two amazing cards! I just love the stitching on the first one and the twine on the second one!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips