Wednesday, March 19, 2008

An Eggstra Special Day

Here's a card made with the sketch posted for today's sketch challenge on SCS. This is the first time I've used this chick image from the Hey Chick! stamp set from Kitchen Sink Stamps. I was a little scared of it, but I think I've mastered it now. I used the same color combination for the layers as I did for the other chick image. It just took me a while to figure how to line it up just right.

I stamped the egg in two layers of pink ink. Then I used a variation on a tip that Maria shared on her blog. Using a Prismacolor pencil, I shaded just a little bit, which created a more distinct outline for the cracked eggshell. I added some of the tiny flower images to the shell and dotted the centers with some glitter.

This layout is great for using up a bunch of those scraps that are always piling up. For a monochromatic look, I found a bunch of pink patterned paper scraps to piece together the panel on the front. I used my sewing machine to stitch the pieces together. The sentiment is stamped directly on the papers, stretching across parts of all three pieces. I used some more scrappy pieces to make the "layers" under the panel.

The ribbon around the front panel is from American Crafts. It is so shimery--there are lots of gold flecks running through it. The color is a much better match IRL than in the photo. When I saw the ribbon on the store shelf, it was so eye catching and different looking (and on sale, too!) that I ended up buying it in a few different colors, so you'll probably be seeing more of it . . .

Cosmo the crazy dog seems to be on the road to recovery. He was not doing too well this morning, so I took him to the vet. Because of all of our trips there and some of the strange circumstances surrounding those trips, pretty much everyone there knows Cosmo. They all agreed with me that Cosmo was just not acting Cosmo-like at all. The vet did some blood work and found that there are a few things that need to be monitored, so I'll need to bring him back to the vet next month. None of the issues from the blood work are related the semi-toxic plant eating situation (not sure if that's good or bad yet . . .). The plant seems to be working its way out of his system naturally and he was much more playful and alert this afternoon and even ate some of his regular dog food.

Materials Used:
Hey Chick! stamp set (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Barely Banana, So Saffron, Close to Cocoa, Pretty in Pink, and Regal Rose Classic inks, Pretty in Pink, Regal Rose, Barely Banana, and Whisper White cardstock, Loves Me and Pretty in Pink Prints Series designer paper, Stampin' Pastels, slit punch, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); clear Stardust pen (Sakura); colored pencil (Prismacolor); ribbon (American Crafts); sewing machine

7 comments:

  1. Love your card Lori! That chick is adorable!! I should have sewn my panels like you did...looks awesome!
    Hope Cosmo feels better soon and that his health problems are nothing serious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card Lori!! I love that little chickie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute card! the chick and colours are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this card Lori!! All the eggstra details really make it special

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Easter Card!
    Cute little chick...
    nice coloring.
    Pretty papers..Love the pinks!
    Nice Job sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chick looks great to me. I am guessing it's a two piece stamp to get the yellow and brown? I thought at first that you were just doing your usual excellent coloring...looks great however the effect was achieved.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips