Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring Break is Here--Cheers!

I thought I'd share a card I created late last night before I head out for a full evening of college basketball. I'm going to the NCAA men's basketball tournament at the Verizon Center in Washington, DC. March Madness is one of my very favorite events of the year and I've been able to attend quite a few games in person over the past few years. I don't have a particular interest in any of the teams that are playing in the games I'll be seeing tonight, but it really doesn't matter to me. The atmosphere is so much fun and there's always something exciting and/or unexpected that happens--like when George Mason University made it to the Final Four a few years ago.

Here's a somewhat-related, little known fact about me--I have a masters degree from GMU. Although I went to school there for parts of three academic years, I have come to the realization that I do not have a single piece of memorabilia that says "George Mason" on it, which is quite a contrast to the huge array of University of Wisconsin stuff (t-shirts, hats, plastic cups, posters, Barbie dolls, rubber stamps--you name it, I probably have it) I have collected and continue to accumulate. I think the only thing I have marking my time at GMU is my diploma . . .

Anyway, on to the card--it is the reason you're here, after all. I made this card using a "kit" I got in a recent swap. Participants assembled kits with a pre-stamped image, coordinating patterned paper, ribbon, and embellishments of their choosing. This is a great way to have lots of coordinated and ready to use materials on hand to create a quick card. I made this one with Allison's Suggestive Sunday #9 in mind. Since my spring break begins today, a card with an alcoholic beverage that's front and center is just perfect!

I colored the Cosmobella image from Stamping Bella with Copic markers and layered the image on a scrap of black cardstock. I based the color choices on the patterned paper included in the kit, some of which I eventually decided not to use here. The paper I didn't use had a bluish-green in it that matched Papertrey's Aqua Mist pretty well, so that's why the Bella has an Aqua Mist shirt and the cardfront is Aqua Mist. I kinda like it paired with black.

I used one of my Copic markers to color the clear plastic flower embellishment so it would be a little more visible. I added a self-adhesive rhinestone at the center to cover the glue dot I used to attach the flower to the cardfront.

Since I didn't assemble the kit, I won't be able give you much info on the materials used. Sorry about that . . .

Materials Used:
Cosmobella image and sentiment (Stamping Bella); markers, gold glitter marker (Copic); Aqua Mist cardstock (Papertrey Ink); Noir Black ink (Palette); Basic Black cardstock, glue dot (Stampin' Up!); self-adhesive rhinestone (Michaels)

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous card! Love that you coloured the flower with your Copics!! Fun!
    Enjoy Spring Break....we still have another week to go until ours starts :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow...terrific! Love the coloring and that flower...bam! (A la Emeril!)

    Thanks so much for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic color combination on this card! OMG, that ghost flower with the coloring on it is WONDERFUL! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!!

    Many Easter Blessings,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This card is fabulous! Love the colors and you always do such a great job with the bellas! Enjoy your break! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love Bellas! Beautiful card...I like the green.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips