Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sketches {by Tamara} #49

Here's my card for this week's sketch at Sketches {by Tamara}. I really like how it turned out! I used a combination of SU! sets--the current Always set and the retired Wonderful Words II. I think the heart image and the elegant script font really complement each other.

The heart is stamped on vellum in white craft ink, then heat embossed in white. It's attached behind a "window" cut in the Sweet Blush cardstock layer. The window was one way that I used Nestabilities dies on this card.

The Sweet Blush coordinates beautifully with Bravo Burgundy. I stamped the sentiment in this shade of burgundy on a scrap of the soft pink cardstock. By attaching a scrap of wide chocolate chip grosgrain, I made this into a tag that I attached to the cardfront.

The Bravo Burgundy scalloped edge mat is the other use of Nestabilities on this card. I used the new large rectangle die set to cut the mat. Here's some photos showing my trick for this.


First, arrange the paper, plates, and die as recommended for your specific die cutting machine (please ignore the horrible looking Cuttlebug B plate you see in the photo--you can tell I use it a lot!).


Then, run the paper and die through the die cutting machine, but only part way. I stopped at just a little over half way.












Remove the die from the paper. It will look like you see in this photo--3/4 of a rectangle cut out.









The next step is to replace the die, placing it so that it will cut out the other side of the rectangle. Use the already cut scallops as a guide for placement. You will be able to set the grooves of the die in to some of the already cut scallops to help you place the die correctly and keep it in place.







Run the paper and die through the machine again, stopping at about half way as shown in the photo. If you roll the die all the way through, you'll end up cutting the piece in half.







Remove the die from the cardstock to reveal . . .




a perfect scalloped mat! Let me know if you need clearer directions and I'll try to provide them. And, if you try this, crop me a comment or an email to let me know so I can check out what you've done.

11 comments:

  1. Instructions are clear to me! Great idea and great tutorial. I do this with my embossing folders but did not think about it with this. Smart cookie you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I don't have the nestabilities yet, but as soon as I do I'll give this a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool Lori! Something new to try! Love it! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh, Lori! Thanks for the awesome trick with the long rectangle! I'm expecting a shipment of the long ones at the store any day now and can't wait to give that a try! Super cute card for the challenge, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowie, thanks for the awesome tutorial, gonna have to use it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous card!! And I love your tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great instructions...
    Beautiful card!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU!!!! love the instructions and the pics!!! You are great to post this for us more "challenged" crafters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card & man is that a brilliant trick for the nestabilities. You ROCK! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous Lori - great directions too! I love the way this turned out! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

    ReplyDelete
  11. how smart are you! I've been cutting out two and piecing them together! Thanks for the great instructions.

    Holly
    hogwildaboutstamping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips