Friday, October 10, 2008

Halloween (and Hockey, too)

I'm so glad it's Friday! Time for the weekend, and more importantly today, the official start of hockey season--both college and professional. My very favorite time of the year (right, Dawn??). I have high hopes for both of my favorite teams--the Washington Capitals and the Wisconsin Badgers. We'll see about that as the season progresses. Hopefully both teams will be playing for championships at the Verizon Center in Washington, DC in the spring.

And along with hockey in the fall, there's Halloween, too. Here are two more Halloween themed cards using some sketches from other bloggers' sketch challenges. The first card uses Jen's Sketch for You to Try. I used some of the DoodleFactory Halloween images from Starving Artistamps to create this card. I stamped the branch and bat (upside-down, of course!) along with the matching "Go Batty!" sentiment on a white panel and colored the images with Copic markers. I used a sponge to add a purple night sky to the panel.

The image panel is layered over a gray panel embossed with the Swiss Dot embossing folder. I brushed some shimmery white pigment ink over the embossing for a sort of sparkly, starry look. I created a trio of patterned paper panels for the cardfront and embellished them with purple dome embellishments.

Materials Used:
bat, branch and sentiment (DoodleFactory from Starving Artistamps); white cardstock (Xerox); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic Ciao); Lovely Lilac Classic ink, Lovely Lilac, Basic Gray, and Basic Black cardstock, designer paper, corner rounder, Crystal Effects, dimensionals, sponge (Stampin' Up!); black satin ribbon (Target); Swiss dot embossing folder (Cuttlebug); Moonlight White ink (Brilliance)

I made this cute Halloween card using Lauren’s Saturday sketch challenge. It’s been a while since I’ve done one of her challenges, but when I saw this sketch, I immediately thought that the stick figures from Unity Stamp Co.’s Trick or Treat Peeps would be a perfect fit for the narrow panels on the cardfront.

I stamped the figures in black ink on white cardstock, then colored them with Copic markers. I used a sponge to apply Lovely Lilac ink over the panel to give it a nighttime tint. Once I was done sponging, I added Stickles to some of the images as an accent.

I matted the images on Elegant Eggplant cardstock, then layered them on a piece of patterned paper from a Halloween paper pack. I added some green Dew Drops as embellishments and used a Stamp-a-ma-jig to position the sentiment above the cat image.

As you can probably tell, I am having so much fun making Halloween cards! I will miss them when the season's over . . .

Materials Used:
Trick or Treat Peeps (Unity Stamp Co.); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); white cardstock (Xerox); markers (Copic Ciao); patterned paper (My Favorite Things); Yellow and Lime Green Stickles (Ranger); Lovely Lilac and Elegant Eggplant Classic inks, Elegant Eggplant cardstock, sponge, Crystal Effects (Stampin’ Up!); Stamp-a-ma-jig

4 comments:

  1. Such cute cards! I absolutely love that little bat. Fantastic job. Go Colorado Avalanche! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Lori!! Both cards are awesome! So stinkin' cute! Love the upside down bat...haha!

    Ok Washington and Ovechkin better do some good stuff tonight!! I have him in my hockey pool and I'm already down in points(didn't pick ANY Oilers for my pool) some fan I am eh?!! LOL!

    Oilers play Sunday night...can't WAIT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these Hallowen treats are WAY too adorable!! Love them :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are delightful! I especially love the batty one!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips