Saturday, October 11, 2008

I Got a New Toy This Week . . .

And when you get a new toy, you know that you want to try it out. So, I did on these two cards that I made using some blogger sketch challenges. My new toy is a "scallop dot edge punch" from Martha Stewart that does the Fiskars Threading Water punch one better--it makes two sets of holes in a scalloped edge instead of just one. And, to make things even better, the punch was on sale for 30% off, too--gotta love that.

I made this card using this week's sketch from 2 Sketches 4 You. It's been a while since I've done one of the sketches from this blog. Earlier in the week, I had seen the sketch and thought about using some of this self-adhesive felt (also on sale) for the sketch. So, I combined the felt and the new punch to make a detailed panel for the cardfront.

The colors I used coordinated with the autumn-toned patterned paper. Since there's a lot going on in the pattern (spots and diagonal stripes!), I kept the rest of the layout pretty simple. I stamped the "thankful" sentiment from the Vintage Words set from Kitchen Sink Stamps in Really Rust ink on a scrap of Sahara Sand cardstock as the only stamped element on the card. I accented the sentiment with a pair of copper brads.

Materials Used:
Vintage Words stamp set (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Really Rust Classic ink, Sahara Sand, Chocolate Chip, Really Rust, and More Mustard cardstock, glue dots (Stampin' Up!); patterned paper (Creative Imaginations); copper brads (Making Memories); buttons, twine (Walmart); self adhesive felt leaves (Queen & Co.); scallop dot edge punch (Martha Stewart)

This one uses the new punch in a slightly different way. Here I used it to create a decorative border at the bottom of my card. My card is based on Mary Jo's sketch challenge. She always shares fantastic sketches!

I used the 4 step apple image from the School Days set from Kitchen Sink Stamps as the focal image on my card. I think this apple is my favorite image in this set. I matted the stamped image on a piece of River Rock cardstock, then used dimensionals to attach it over a panel made from patterned paper featuring more apple images. I tied a deeper green ribbon around the top of the patterned paper panel for some balance.

I have a feeling you'll be seeing more of this new scallop dot edge punch here in future posts . . .

Materials Used:
School Days stamp set (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Old Olive, Kiwi Kiss, and Cranberry Crisp Classic inks, Kiwi Kiss, Cranberry Crisp, River Rock, and Very Vanilla cardstock, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); patterned paper (Creative Imaginations); Sweet Blush, Berry Sorbet, and Pure Poppy Palette inks (Papertrey Ink); moss grosgrain ribbon (Morex); scallop dot edge punch (Martha Stewart)

7 comments:

  1. this is beautiful! I love the colors of fall:)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both simple (in a good way) and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both cards.
    And I want that punch too!!
    Eveline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so close to buying that punch the other day. I love it. Your cards are fabulous. I especially love the apple one - not just because it is my sketch, lol. Thanks so much for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great punch. I will have to be on the lookout for that one. Terrific projects you made with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen that punch yet but of course, I have been trying to stay OUT OF THE STORES...Great cards! I love the dots paper with the dots punch. Really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both cards are fabulous Lori! I went to Michael's to get some of the punches but they were wiped already...guess ya snooze ya lose right? glad you got one though! It looks super cool!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips