Friday, November 28, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 75

I hope everyone was able to enjoy a nice Thanksgiving with family and friends. Ours was enjoyable, even though Cosmo the crazy dog was bold enough to "steal" a piece of turkey off of the serving platter at the dinner table, with all of us sitting right there in clear sight. Hopefully this won't get him uninvited from future celebrations . . .

This week's blogger challenge was an inspiration challenge based on this photograph of a beautiful bedding set that Lisa found. I took my inspiration from the large pillows at the head of the bed and from the colors in the bedding to create this simple, elegant card.

This card is also my entry for the first challenge in the 12 Days of Christmas event at Paper Craft Planet. Today's theme is cards with either trees or birds (or both), so this card fit perfectly.

I started by cutting my card base and layers. The card is a 4 1/4" square and each layer is 1/4" smaller than the panel it is set on.

Since Kitchen Sink Stamps is the sponsor for today's Paper Craft Planet challenge, I pulled out one of my KSS sets. Since I don't have any sets featuring a tree, I used the the leaf image from the Autumn Squirrel set. I love the detail in the three step image! I used More Mustard, Really Rust, and Close to Cocoa inks to stamp the leaf on a Very Vanilla square. I added the "thankful" sentiment from Vintage Words in matching Close to Cocoa ink.

I cut a vellum square to match the size of the Very Vanilla panel and layered it over the stamped image panel for a soft look. I created a faux bow with some velvet ribbon (because for me, the velvet is almost impossible to tie nicely!) and attached this across the top of the vellum panel. The glue that attaches the vellum panel was easily hidden by the ribbon strip.

I hope some of you will join me in playing along in the Paper Craft Planet challenge. Prizes will be awarded on a daily basis. Today's prize is two great sets from Kitchen Sink Stamps. If you upload to Paper Craft Planet for this challenge, please use the keyword 12day1. And, be sure to check out the one day only sale at KSS. Enter the promotion code "GOBBLE" for a 15% discount.

To see more projects based on this inspiration piece, you can visit the other challenge participants. Links to their blogs are found in the sidebar on the right. Inspiration challenges are always so interesting to me--people are drawn to all sorts of different elements in the inspiration piece and this results in an amazing variety of creations, all based on the same thing.

Materials Used:
Autumn Squirrel and Vintage Words stamp sets (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Really Rust, More Mustard, and Close to Cocoa Classic inks, Really Rust and Very Vanilla cardstock, vellum (Stampin' Up!); brown velvet ribbon (American Crafts)

16 comments:

  1. Lori, that is a very beautiful card. I just loaded my card but not sure I loaded it correctly. I am not totally comfortable with the site yet. I did get it on there and did call it 12days1, so if you get a chance, see if I did it right! Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The velvet ribbon is the perfect touch to finish off this card! Love how you "tied" the ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! LOVE that ribbon...so luxurious! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the softness created by the gorgeous velvet ribbon and vellum overlay!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is beautiful! your layers are gorgeous and the velum layer is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning! That velvet ribbon is just lucious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a beautiful card Lori!! Love the vellum and the yummy ribbon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card Lori - love the vellum overlay and the added velvet ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, this is SIMPLY GORGEOUS! I love the soft look the vellum creates, and that Velvet Ribbon is delish. Fabulous take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. This is gorgeous. That ribbon finishes the card so well.

    :) Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lori! Beautiful card! The velvet ribbon is the perfect touch (I just LOVE velvet ribbon!!!). Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Understated Elegance - Love your Velvet Bow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so pretty and elegant Lori! That ribbon is so beautiful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love the elegant simplicty of this card. It is just stunning! Fun to see how we've all interpreted this inspiration so differently, isn't it?!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Lori. That leaf image is beautiful--in fact I thought it was a real leaf at first. Nice ribbon too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh this is soooo elegant - love the bow you tied too - PERFECT! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips