Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Deer Friend and Family

Let me start off with a quick personal note today. I got home from work yesterday and found a strange package waiting at my front door. I checked out the label and realized it was my long-awaited diploma! So, it's now really official--my masters degree program is complete, diploma and all.

Now, on to some crafty stuff. Here’s my card for Lauren’s latest Time to Create Challenge. I modified the sketch a little, but I think it still works!

I used the deer image from the DoodleFactory Great Outdoors set from Starving Artistamps for my main image. I colored Fern, the deer, with Copic markers and added some white flock on its tail. I trimmed around the deer and added it to a grassy field, courtesy of some Shamrock Green Flower Soft.

The panel behind the deer is made from two scraps of patterned paper from the Friendly Forest paper pack I picked up on clearance at Michaels. I embellished the panel with a pair of sparkly green Bella dots. My bigger image panel left no room for a sentiment as intended in the sketch, so I stamped it on a piece of twill and layered it over the long panel that stretches across most of the card instead. I embellished it with a wooden button in keeping with the earthy feel of the card.

Materials Used:
DoodleFactory Great Outdoors and Outdoor Sentiments sets, Shamrock Green Flower Soft, Flower Soft glue (Starving Artistamps); white Pure Luxury cardstock (Gina K Designs); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Baja Breeze and Pacific Point cardstock, dimensionals (Stampin’ Up!); Dark Chocolate Palette ink, wooden button, twine (Papertrey Ink); patterned paper (Colorbok-Friendly Forest); white Fun Flock (Stampendous); twill tape (Martha Stewart); green dots (Stamping Bella)

And, with Father's Day coming up soon, I couldn't resist pairing Belvedere and Bink from the same set using a similar color scheme in this card. I stamped the figures in black ink, then colored them with Copic markers and filled in the grass and sky with a sponge and a stipple brush.

I used an argyle patterned embossing folder to create a Chocolate Chip strip for across the card base. It has kind of a masculine look and feel to it. I highlighted the embossed panel with a quick row of paper piercing underneath it. I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to arrange the "chip off the old block" sentiment to fit a 1 3/8" circle, then layered the sentiment on a Pacific Point circle.

Don't forget, if you want some of these fun stamps for yourself, you can use the code savetenlt to save 10% on your DoodleFactory and Starving Artistamps stamp purchases at Starving Artistamps.

Materials Used:
DoodleFactory Great Outdoors and Outdoor Sentiments sets (Starving Artistamps); white Pure Luxury cardstock (Gina K Designs); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Pacific Point Baja Breeze, Certainly Celery, and Kiwi Kiss Classic inks, Baja Breeze, Pacific Point, and Chocolate Chip cardstock, Chocolate Chip polytwill, 1 3/8" circle punch, mat pack and paper piercing tool, sponge, stipple brush, dimensionals (Stampin’ Up!); Argyle embossing folder (Sizzix); 1 1/2" circle punch (EK Success)

9 comments:

  1. Congrats, Lori on earning your masters! YGG!
    These cards are just too cute! Love the grass made from Flower Soft. I have been wondering what on earth I would ever do with that product. Now I know, and I might need to get some! LOL!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori these cards are both SUPER CUTE! And congratulations on your Masters! That's a great accomplishment. Good for you and thanks for playing Lauren's challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable Lori! And congratulations to you on earning your Masters!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Both cards are wonderful, and I love your brilliant colors! The deer is absolutely adorable! Love that little guy :O)

    Congratulations on finishing up your Masters! Good on ya.

    Thanks for playing along! Hope to see you this weekend for the Inspiration challenge :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome cards and BIG TIME congratulations of receiving that big ol' diploma! YEE HAW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy graduation! officially! and your cards are darling! The daddy witht he "moustache" cracks me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy graduation! officially! and your cards are darling! The daddy witht he "moustache" cracks me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your degree!!

    You've got some really cute cards here! Love your coloring and stamped ribbon! :>

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips