Thursday, February 11, 2010

More Snowstorm Creations

I'm still on a snow-imposed vacation here in the DC area. No more snow today, just a little more digging out. I haven't worked all week and won't be working again tomorrow--in fact, I'm off until Tuesday if you count the weekend and the Monday holiday. Not a bad mid-winter break!

The time off has given me plenty of time in my craft room. I played along in Becky's Compose a Card challenge for the first time. The combination was definitely challenging for me, but that's what's good about it. One of the elements called for was a flourish and I'm definitely not a flourish-y type stamper and really don't have flourish images in my collection.

This is what I came up with using this week's colors and elements. I used the larger flower from Papertrey Ink's Friends Til the End stamp set for the focal image. I think this is the first time I've used the large flower image. It was a better fit than the smaller one for the scale of the card. The image is embossed in white on Raspberry Fizz cardstock, then cut out. I added 1 of the 3 rhinestones to the flower's center and a pair of leaves underneath it.

The flower is layered on a Spring Rain panel that's stamped with the smaller flower image tone on tone. I love PTI's new inks--the pastel colors have such a soft, pretty look. A scallop edged strip runs underneath the panel and the sentiment panel overlaps it. I added a pair of rhinestones and a ribbon tab to dress it up.

Now, how I handled the tricky flourish . . . I stamped a flourish-looking leafy branch from Turning a New Leaf in the upper right hand corner of the Terracotta Tile card base in Terracotta Tile ink. The image has kind of the same shape and form as a flourish, but is a lot less fussy looking and much more my style. Once I decided on the placement of the flourish, all of the other elements of the card came together quickly.

Materials Used:
Friends Til the End and Turning a New Leaf stamp sets, Terracotta Tile, Spring Rain, Raspberry Fizz, Ripe Avocado, and Fresh Snow inks, Terracotta Tile, Spring Rain, Raspberry Fizz, and Ripe Avocado cardstock (Papertrey Ink); Whisper White cardstock, Winter White embossing powder, scallop edge punch (Stampin' Up!); blue grosgrain ribbon (Morex); pink rhinestones (Darice); foam tape

Here's yet another card I created in my craft room during the double-decker snow event of the past week. This card is for this week's Technostamper sketch challenge. I replaced the heart in the sketch with a star, but other than that, stayed true to the sketch.

I chose the colors for my card to coordinate with the bold dotted designer paper from K & Company's Lemon Drop paper pad. The blues I used aren't an exact match for the ones in the paper, but they worked well enough. I created a two-toned panel using Baja Breeze for the top and an embossed Crushed Curry panel for the bottom. The seam between the two papers is covered with narrow white grosgrain ribbon. I layered the panels on an Enchanted Evening mat, then edged the left side with a star border punched strip.
I stamped "you're a superstar" from Verve's Starstruck stamp set in Enchanted Evening ink on the Baja Breeze panel. I left plenty of room on the left side of the panel to attach a large star, using foam tape to help it stand out.
Materials Used:
Starstruck stamp set (Verve Stamps); Enchanted Evening ink, Enchanted Evening cardstock (Papertrey Ink); Baja Breeze and Crushed Curry cardstock, white grosgrain ribbon, star punch (Stampin' Up!); designer paper (K & Company-Lemon Drop line); Swiss Dot embossing folder (Cuttlebug); Classic Stars border punch (Martha Stewart); foam tape

4 comments:

  1. I really like your style. The cards are both beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL take on Becky's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, look at you, both cards are wonderful. You rocked this sketch. I love the flower on the first one and the second one is just adorable. Thanks so much for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both cards look great, glad you got a chance to play when you had snow, what better fun than stamping?

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips