Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Slide Top Pencil Box Treat

It’s time for another 3D Tuesday challenge at Paper Craft Planet. Valentine’s Day is coming up soon, so I designed a fun slide top box that holds 4 pencils as an alternative to all of the sweet treats that are shared at this time of year. As a kindergarten teacher, I was always thrilled when students brought in treat packages that contained something other than candy! I found really cute packages of Valentine’s Day themed pencils in the dollar sections of both Target and Michaels recently that served as the inspiration for my project. I suppose this box would fit Pixie Stix, but I didn’t have any on hand to try out, so I can’t confirm that.

The box template is actually pretty simple. It takes 1 piece of cardstock to make both the box and box top. I modified the slide top box I had made to hold tealights to come up with this one. The scores are all in ½” or 1” increments. You can find the dimensions and cutting directions in the attachment here.

My box and box top are made from Raspberry Fizz cardstock. For the decorated panel on the box top, I stamped the heart image from Papertrey Ink’s Tiny Treats: Valentine randomly on a white strip in red ink. You could use a piece of patterned paper for this if you wanted. The stamped panel is layered on a red mat and attached to the box top.

I tied a piece of matching dotted satin ribbon around the box, then created a tag to hang from the ribbon. I stamped the cute pencil and paper image and matching sentiment on a tag and colored it with Copic markers. The tiny heart is accented with Stickles.

I hope you’ll give this treat idea a try--I have a feeling that your kids' teachers will thank you! Please upload your pencil boxes to the PCP gallery using the keyword 3d47 so I can add them to the album with the rest of this week’s creations. And, let me know if you come up with other ideas for treats to fill the box!

Materials Used:
Tiny Treats: Valentine stamp set, Pure Poppy ink, Pure Poppy and Raspberry Fizz cardstock, Raspberry Fizz Swiss dot satin ribbon (Papertrey Ink); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Whisper White cardstock, silver cord, tag punches (Stampin’ Up!); Ruby Slippers Glitz Stickles (Ranger)

3 comments:

  1. cute cute project Lori! May have to make a couple of these for my niece's - but can't promise to get it photographed and loaded to PCP anytime soon :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, Thanks so much for the directions for this box. I made both my boys one for Valentine's Day. I am also going to try to make the base a little bigger to fit some nugget chocolates in it for a house warming gift. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips