Thursday, July 8, 2010

Digging It, Clean and Simple Style

This week's one layer Wednesday challenge was to make a funny one layer card. I knew that I'd be able to find a DoodleFactory image from Starving Artistamps that would fit the bill. I think I ended up with a combination of funny and kind of gross, too . . .

I went with Zed from the DoodleFactory Creatures II collection and his matching sentiment. I stamped the image in black ink on a pale blue cardfront and colored the image a little in slightly darker blue tones using Copic markers. I added a pair of grassy patches to either side of the image and stamped the coordinating "can you dig it?" sentiment under Zed's foot.

The blue "white space" looked too empty for me, so I cut a sun shape from felt and added a button center. I could have stamped a sun and truly stayed one single, flat layer, but I didn't think that I'd be too successful in getting a nice orange shade when coloring over the blue base. It's still pretty much one layer, though.

Don't forget that my blog discount code for stamp purchases at Starving Artistamps will be expiring on July 15. Enter the code savetenLT to save 10% on your stamp purchases. Hurry up and shop before the discount disappears!

Materials Used:
DoodleFactory Creatures II stamp set (Starving Artistamps); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Soft Sky cardstock (Stampin' Up!); sun die (My Favorite Things); Summer Sun button, twine (Papertrey Ink); orange felt

And, while I'm on the topic of clean and simple cards, here's one more to share. I made this simple one for the first week's lesson from the new Clean and Simple Cards group on Paper Craft Planet. This group is new to the Planet and just getting off the ground.

Lyn gave us a list of elements to include to create a clean and simple card. Here's what I came up with following her recipe. I stamped the large flower image so that it extended off of the panel to add interest. I balanced the large flower with a smaller scaled sentiment and added a little paper piercing to complete the design. The stamped panel is layered on a matching red panel, then on a white card base.

A new lesson will be posted on a regular basis, so if you're interested in practicing your clean and simple stamping skills, this group will be a great resource. Hope to see you there!

Materials Used:
Friends Til the End stamp set (Papertrey Ink); Real Red Classic ink, Real Red cardstock (Stampin' Up!); white cardstock (Xerox)

5 comments:

  1. LOL! That stamp is too cute! Fabulous cards Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Awesome cards!! LOVE the second card...definitely will try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So icky, but so funny! Love the flower card, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Meg...icky but sooooo funny!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips