Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dreams and Goals

Here’s my card for this week’s My Favorite Things Wednesday Stamp Club sketch challenge. I really like this á la modes Dream Big image—she turned out to be a perfect fit for the sketch’s round panel.

I used the out of the box technique to cut out the image panel so that the girl’s foot extends just beyond the circle’s edge. After coloring the image with Copic markers, I matted it on a turquoise panel, then stamped the “dream big” sentiment on the panel’s open space, also in turquoise.

I used two different patterned papers for the panels on the cardfront, a blue grid pattern for most of the cardfront and a fun green dotted one for the 4 small squares arranged underneath the image panel. I machine stitched around each of the squares to add interest. The yellow strip that runs across the cardfront has a star pattern along the bottom edge, courtesy of a border punch. I wrapped a strip of turquoise velvet ribbon that I found in my scrap stash around the top of the strip to add some texture before setting the image panel over the top.

Materials Used:
á la modes Dream Big stamp set (My Favorite Things); white cardstock (Taylored Expr
essions); Tuxedo Black ink (Tsukineko); markers (Copic); Tempting Turquoise and Daffodil Delight cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Lime Twist-Fly a Kite 6 x 6 paper pad (My Mind’s Eye); Summer Days designer paper (Echo Park); circle dies (Spellbinders); star border punch (Martha Stewart); velvet ribbon; sewing machine; foam tape

And, here's my project for this month's MFT guest designer contest. This month's theme is "Personalize It" and I came up with a fun piece of room decor for a little boy I know who's a big sports fan.

I started with a plain white wooden letter. I traced around it on a piece of star patterned paper, cut the traced piece out, and used Mod Podge to attach it to the letter. After letting it dry, I sanded the edges a bit and rubbed on some blue and white inks for a more weathered look.

To create the little boy image, I used the I Get a Kick Out of You set with a few modifications. When inking the stamp, I omitted the pigtails and little heart accent to make the image more boy-like. I colored it with Copic markers and cut it out. It's set on the letter with foam tape. I added the set's "keep your goals in mind" sentiment on a banner strip beneath the image's feet, setting a baker's twine tied button at the end to anchor it. To personalize the piece, I added the little boy's name in foam Thickers. He's become more of a hockey player than a soccer player as of late, but I hope he'll like this anyway!

Materials Used:
Pure Innocence I Get a Kick Out of You stamp set, Twinery red baker's twine (My Favorite Things); white cardstock (Taylored Expressions); Memento Tuxedo Black ink (Tsukineko); markers (Copic); Marina Mist Classic ink, Riding Hood Red cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Fresh Snow ink, Enchanted Evening button (Papertrey Ink); Stars of Loyalty designer paper (American Made line-My Mind's Eye); white foam Thickers (American Crafts); wooden letter; Mod Podge; foam tape

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips