Sunday, May 6, 2007

No Doodle This . . .

Today's featured stamper on SCS is Alli/themilesmum (see her gallery here). She has a gallery full of lovely cards. Lots of them feature SU!'s Doodle This stamp set. I wasn't sure that I could stamp with this style, but the beautiful samples/swaps I saw at the VA Beach regional convinced me I should try it out, so the set found its way to my most recent SU! order. Since I haven't received it yet, I had to do some switching to create this card that's based on one that Alli used Doodle This to create (Happy Doodle This Flower).

I kept the basic layout the same, but totally changed the color scheme. IRL this card is really as bright as in the photo--and maybe even more so! I knew that I wanted to use patterned paper with a stripe, like Ally did in her card, so I found a piece of patterned paper from the Making Memories Coastline collection and drew my colors from there. The paper's colors actually worked pretty well with SU!'s Only Orange, Pink Passion, and Pixie Pink papers--a lot of times, that doesn't happen when I find a piece of non-SU! patterned paper that I like. For the main image, I replaced the flower from Doodle This with the flower from Polka-dot Posies. Alli had microbeads in the center of her flower, but I used a large clear button with a ribbon scrap threaded through the button holes instead. I put the flower on a scalloped circle punch, instead of a regular circle. The card has a lot of straight lines, so I wanted to add something to help set the flower off. I used the Coluzzle to cut a regular circle to fit inside the scalloped circle. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm beginning to really like the Coluzzle. I'm finding myself reaching for it more and more often now that I have the hang of using it. I also kept the paper piercing detail and the sentiment from the original card. I omitted the swirls on the upper right and lower left of the card, again because I don't have a doodle set with swirls handy. I may just have to give this challenge a try again once my Doodle This stamp set arrives . . .
Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Polka-dots and Posies and Happy Everything stamp sets; Pink Passion, Pixie Pink, and Only Orange Classic inks; Pink Passion, Pixie Pink, Only Orange, and Whisper White cardstock; mat pack and paper piercing tool; white gel pen; dimensionals; glue dot; Coluzzle and circle template
Other: patterned paper (Coastline Collection by Making Memories); mega scalloped circle punch (Marvy Uchida); clear button (FooFaLa); orange grosgrain (AC Moore dollar bin)

1 comment:

 
Blogging tips