Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Better Late. . .

I recently joined a weekly blogger challenge group--just after they posted their challenge samples for the week. I'm so excited to participate in a group with so many talented stampers! So, I wanted to catch up before the next week's postings were due. Check back on Friday to see mine. I had the perfect idea for it and it's almost done, too--three whole days ahead of time! Please be sure to check the blogs of the other group members to see what they've come up with for the challenges. Their blogs are listed on a sidebar on the right side of this page (Bloggers Challenge Group).

The past week's challenge was to create a card based on the layout seen on page 165 of the Stampin' Up! Fall/Winter Collection. My card keeps the layout the same but has lots of other changes.

Instead of stamps for the focal images, I used some of the brand new chipboard pieces that demos were able to order at convention (On Board Blossoms). They arrived today and I knew I had to use them for this challenge to replace the similar images from Ginormous Flowers in the challenge card. I covered the individual chipboard pieces with craft inks (love those craft spots for just that!), then reassembled them. I embossed the Pixie Pink pieces using Iridescent Ice and added self-adhesive gem flowers for sparkle.

The color scheme of the card is different from the original card, too. I kept the card base green, but used a lighter shade. The patterned paper is from Memory Box's Sugar collection of double sided papers. I selected the colors for the flowers based on the shades in the paper. I added a piece of wide ruched ribbon that's a pretty close match to Pink Passion across the front of the card and a bold-font "hello" for a sentiment to finish the card off.

I am stamping much more comfortably tonight now that my air conditioning is FINALLY working right again. Cosmo and I have been sweltering here since I returned home from Denver on Friday night. The outdoor temperature has been in the 90's and the temperature inside our house has been in the mid 80's. Early this evening the leaks in the system were repaired and I found out that will not have to buy an entirely new system, at least not for a while, which is a good thing since I just spent a bunch of money on my trip to the SU! convention in Denver. I also found out that my furnace, while aging, will probably last a while with a good cleaning to prevent any more small explosions like the one that happened this evening when the repair person turned it on. Owning a home is never dull, is it?

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Sweet Shapes stamp set; Certainly Celery Classic ink; Certainly Celery, Pink Passion, and Pixie Pink Craft inks; Certainly Celery cardstock; On Board Blossoms chipboard; Iridescent Ice embossing powder; glue dots
Other: patterned paper (Memory Box's Sugar Collection); self-adhesive rhinestone flowers (Joann--dollar bin); pink ruched ribbon (Michaels); green brads (Making Memories)

11 comments:

  1. So CUTE, Lori!! Love the elements you've combined! -Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Card Lori - welcome to the Bloggers Challenge Group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty! The chipboard works wonderfully for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done. I love the bright cheery colors & the sparkle your card has. I used the chipboard for my card too & had fun with it. Welcome to the group. Ida

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely colors...so bright and cheerful. Your chipboard elements are awesome! Great job with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute Lori! I love how you used the chipboard for the focal points.

    Welcome to the group!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori; great first challenge card. I love the chipboard and the colors you used for this challenge, they are some of my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really great card! I love all the sparklies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh - the colors are wonderful. And I love the flowers.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty! Love the pink and green together. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips