Friday, August 10, 2007

Blogger Challenge Group, Week 7

I have a few minutes before I have to leave for work, so I thought I'd get my project for my bloggers challenge group up for you to see. This week's challenge was to pick an item--anything you wanted--and alter it.

I ended up altering an item that (like yesterday's notebook) I had bought a while ago for a specific purpose and hadn't yet gotten around to working with. I altered a pair of small garden lanterns I found this spring in the Dollar Spot at Target. They were intended as a small part of a gift to my mom for Mother's Day. I figured they'd look nice on the table on the screened porch at the beach house. I got the original idea for altering these lanterns from Jan Tink's blog back in the spring. She had altered one of these and I thought, "I could do that, too."







So, here's what I did. Using Staz-on, I stamped images from Polka-Dots & Paisleys on the glass panels. They were really easy to remove--just lift the metal tab and slide out. Stamping on glass was a little tricky at first. The surface is slick, so it took a few tries to get the image to look crisp. It was easy to wipe off any "mistakes" with a baby wipe and do them over while the ink was still fresh. I covered the tops of the lanterns with some matching designer paper. Since these will be on a screened porch, I coated the paper with ModPodge to seal it. I added a bunch of colorful ribbons to the handle to finish it off. I'm looking forward to putting these on the table when I go to the beach next weekend!

Be sure to check out the work of the other Bloggers Challenge group members. You can find a listing of their blogs on the sidebar to the right. I'm looking forward to doing that when I get home from work today.



Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Petals & Paisley stamp set; Polka Dots & Petals designer paper
Other: Staz-on; grosgrain ribbon (Michaels and AC Moore)

11 comments:

  1. Very cute Lori! I bought a couple of those lanterns last spring too. You've inspired me to find them and pretty them up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    This is perfect!! I love lanterns! Great job, and it will great at your mom's beach house!! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT is way cool, Lori! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Love the project you chose to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very pretty! I bought a few of these lanterns too--perfect for stamping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever Lori! Love the colors you used and what a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fun idea! I want to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw these at Target, but didn't pick up any of them...you make me wish I had! Great job...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great, nontraditional alterable! How clever of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cam out great! I'm sure your mom will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Now that was a different thing to alter but I like it! Great job on the challenge. Ida

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips