Friday, September 21, 2007

Blogger Challenge: Week 13, or Dry Embossing A-ha!

For this week's Blogger Challenge, the challenge was to create something that uses a form of embossing. After last weekend's Stampin' Up! Regional Seminar in Philadelphia, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. There was a demonstration using SU!'s Classy Brass Templates for dry embossing, so I had lots and lots of ideas from the presentation. Before the presentation, I had kind of wondered how I should be using the decorative edges on the templates. Now I know what to do!

This project ended up being a set of 4 3x3 cards with a matching card tote box. The cards are all the exact same layout, just with different color schemes. The image panels are made from Shimmery White cardstock. For all of them, after stamping the butterfly and swirl images, I used my light table and the Priceless Classy Brass Template to dry emboss the butterfly and the scalloped frame around the edge of the panel.

The frame/border around the Shimmery White panels was dry embossed with the scalloped edge from the brass template. At the regional seminar, Shannon West showed how to do this. Maybe I'm just kind of clueless, but that was a "lightbulb" moment for me. I had thought about tracing the edges and cutting out along the traced lines, but that seemed kind of time consuming and I never tried it. Seeing Shannon's demo on how to dry emboss using the template's decorative edges made things clear for me.

I used the corner rounder to make a scalloped edge at the bottom of the card, matching the image panel design.

Please be sure to check out the other Blogger Challenge players embossed creations. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar to the right.

Materials used (all from Stampin' Up!):
Priceless stamp set; Rose Red, So Saffron, Certainly Celery, Almost Amethyst, and Soft Sky Classic inks; Rose Red, So Saffron, Certainly Celery, and Almost Amethyst cardstock and Prints Series designer papers; Shimmery White cardstock; Priceless Classy Brass Template; Dazzling Diamonds; corner rounder; mat pack and paper piercing tool; white grosgrain; silver brads; dimensionals; Sticky Strip

18 comments:

  1. Lori...those are SO pretty! Thanks for sharing the tip from Regionals...I didn't know about uses the edges either!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty - and a great idea for the edges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Cards Lori! I love the scallop square around the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable little cards. I don't use my brass templates as much as I should...they really do make a great "impression" ~giggle~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cute, I love them! They look simple but are so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haa!! We used the same template and did the same thing!!! =) How FUN is that!! =) Your cards are ALL just LOVELY!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful....what a great gift idea!
    Debbie J.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so pretty. The colors are refreshing and if I can ever find my Priceless Brass Template I'll have a great idea on how to use it! Ida

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous set and thank you for sharing what you learned! Excellent cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow--these really turned out nicely! Great idea with the scallop edge around the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are VERY pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the way the dry embossing looks. I'm impressed that you pulled ou the light table!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous Cards!!! I was at Regionals in Hamilton yesterday and can't wait to try some of the tips that they shared!!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pretty card! I love the embossed edges!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty Lori! I didn't make it to regionals this year. Could you explain how you used the scalloped edge to make a square. It's not clicking for me yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the embossed frame - great idea!! I keep eyeing that template up - may have to order it next!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips