Monday, September 17, 2007

Monday Mess

Is it really only Monday?? I have lots going on this week and today was crazy. I really needed a creative break this evening, so I took some time to do today's Technique Lovers Challenge on SCS. The challenge was to make a 2-5-7-10 box. These are fun and easy to make following the directions in this SCS tutorial.

Here's my first box. I used the Bodacious Bouquet set and matching wheel as decoration. I love those jumbo wheels. They cover large sheets of cardstock really quickly. I tend to get the ones that have patterns that don't need to be lined up exactly to take off the pressure of needing to roll the wheel in a straight line (not possible in my world!).

This set almost always makes me reach for bright colors. I used Pixie Pink for the box, then the deeper Pink Passion for the flower. I stamped the flower in craft ink, then heat embossed it with Iridescent Ice embossing powder. I pulled out my Bodacious Classy Brass Template and used it for paper piercing around the large flower. This ribbon from Michaels that I've had in my stash for a long time matched the color scheme perfectly.

Once I'd finished the first box and saw how easy it was, I decided to give it another try, this time with winter gift-giving in mind. For this one, I used the retired Swirling Stars jumbo wheel and silver ink on Night of Navy cardstock. Since the Silver Encore ink takes forever to dry and I'm not in a patient mood today, I decided to try spraying it with a matte sealer so I could get the box finished. It seemed to work, other than temporarily making my crafting area a toxic zone. Next time, I'll remember to step outside before spraying the sealer . . .

For the front, I randomly stamped snowflake images from two different stamp sets on a piece of shimmery white cardstock in three shades of blue ink and embellished the snowflake centers with small rhinestones. The silver ribbon is from American Crafts and is a nice accent for the box.

Warning-- if you're not interested in yet another dog story, you can stop reading here. I just can't believe this happened today, so I have to share it. When I got home from work, I couldn't find Cosmo. He always runs to the door to greet me. So, I freaked out and started running through the house looking for him. When I got to my bedroom, I realized the bathroom door was shut. Turns out, Cosmo had shut himself in the bathroom. Over the past few months, he's started to spend time there during the day, chilling out on the cool tile floor. He's kind of a large, clumsy dog and the bathroom isn't too big. He must have turned in just the right (or wrong) way and made the door close. Boy, was Cosmo ever happy to see me! He's barely left my side since he was released.

I'm not sure how long he was in there, but it was long enough to eat several holes in the plastic shower curtain, rip the toilet paper holder off of the wall and tear the entire roll of toilet paper into a zillion tiny, wet, and mushy pieces, and chomp a hole through the top of one of my pairs of pajamas. If this is how my week started, I'm not sure I want to see what will happen next . . .

Materials Used:
Box 1:
From Stampin' Up!: Bodacious Bouquet and So Many Sayings stamp sets; Bodacious jumbo wheel and handle; Pixie Pink and Pink Passion Classic inks; Pink Passion and Green Galore Craft inks; Pixie Pink, Pink Passion, Only Orange, and Whisper White cardstock; Bodacious Classy Brass Template; Iridesdent Ice embossing powder; corner rounder; 1/8" handheld punch; dimensionals
Other: dotted organdy ribbon (Michaels); brads (Making Memories)

Box 2:
From Stampin' Up!: The Snowflake Spot, Snow Flurries, and Warm Words stamp sets; Swirling Stars jumbo wheel and handle; Night of Navy, Brocade Blue, and Bashful Blue Classic inks; Silver Encore ink; Night of Navy, Brocade Blue, Shimmery White, and Brushed Silver cardstock; corner rounder; 1/8" handheld punch
Other: silver ribbon (American Crafts); rhinestones (Walmart); clear matte acrylic sealer (Patricia Nimock)

1 comment:

  1. Cute boxes....I seriously have to try one of these myself....Thanks for sharing!
    Debbie J.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips