Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Birdie Duo

Happy 2008! This year has started out a little more calmly than the past two. During the last two years, my dog Cosmo has had some serious (and costly!!) medical issues right around the new year and I've been in a panic trying to deal with them. It's never a good thing when your vet jokes that instead of stitching the dog's belly up for the third time, he should put in a zipper . . . We're now celebrating a full year without a health crisis, which is great for Cosmo and for my finances. I'm hoping that this is a good sign for the new year. Now on to my first card of 2008. . .

I created this card for this week's color challenge on SCS. I really like the vibrant colors here (red, teal, celery). I used the cute A Little Birdie Told Me set from the new SU! catalog and created a fun element on the card front.

I stamped the "scene" I wanted on the white panel, then stamped the birds again on teal and red paper. I cut them out and attached them to the scene with dimensionals. I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to stamp the beaks on tiny scraps of paper so they'd be orangey--I lost a few of those little buggers in the process. The flowers are colored with markers and have red Stickles at the centers. I added a sponged in sky and grass to complete the scene. This picture shows the raised bird image and a little of the sparkle in the flowers.


I made a score mark 1/4" from the top of the scene panel and attached that small scored section to the teal panel. This allowed the scene panel to flip up to reveal a message (here, "you're the best"). I added a tab punch to the left side of the scene with a rhinestone brad embellishment as a signal to flip the panel up. Please ignore the fuzzy photo--I hadn't intended to take a photo of the card open like this and I'd used non-permanent adhesive to keep it closed and just as I went to snap a picture, it popped open. I thought it showed this element nicely (except for the blurriness!), so I decided to share it here.


I'm off to watch the Wisconsin Badgers play in the Outback Bowl (first bowl game of the day, I think). I dug out my lucky sweatshirt (worn for all big Badger events) and need to find Cosmo's Badger bandanna so he'll be ready for the game. Go Badgers!

Materials Used:
A Little Birdie Told Me and Dotted stamps, Taken with Teal, Cool Caribbean, Certainly Celery, and Basic Black Classic inks, Taken with Teal and Real Red markers, Taken with Teal, Real Red, Certainly Celery, Groovy Guava, and Whisper White cardstock, Certainly Celery Prints Series designer paper, Real Red grosgrain ribbon, mat pack and paper piercing tool, round tab punch, sponges, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); rhinestone brad (Making Memories); Fruit Punch Stickles (Ranger)

22 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your dog. I hope 2008 is a better year for all of you.

    Great card. I love the colors - so bright and cheerful.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute card -- I love how you used the file tab backwards -- it looks really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable!!! Love the flap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredible. I love the colors!!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a blessed New Years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year!! Big hugs and smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to start the stampin' year! Adorable card.

    Hope you have a great 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable Lori!! Love the added element and the colors!
    SHeri aka sherristampsalot

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet...love the colors.
    I love the file tab!
    A "Healthy and Happy New Year" to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these vibrant colours! Hope your dog is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card! I love the bright colors on this too. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally cute! We don't have this set yet but I think I will try and CASE your card using a different set...not sure which one though! Will have to experiment...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow really cute card,I might have to case.
    Happy New Year
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear your pup is doing well. I certainly know how it is when they are at the mercy of a vet and our fincances.

    Your cards are adroable. You make those colors look good together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Lori! Happy New Year! Love the idea of flipping that panel on your card! Awesome job! LOL @ losing some of the beaks...you have way more patience than I do...I'd have given up and left them beakless :(
    Hope that 2008 finds you AND your dog in good health!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this is so cute!
    I am getting this set by Mr. UPS tomorrow, cant wait to play with it:)

    Happy New Year to you, your doggie and your checkbook, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is cute and vibrant! Your poor dog! I hope 2008 is much better for him!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great card - I really like the scene you created and those colors are perfect. Hoping for a healthy year for your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The colors go very well together in this card. So far the only little birdie card I like.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute card, very colorful.

    I am a fellow SBS2 blogger and look forward to getting to know you better and visiting your blog more often.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great card. Love that set and the color choice is awesome. I can't believe you cut out those little beaks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips