Saturday, January 12, 2008

Masculine Medallion

Like lots of other cardmakers, I really struggle with making masculine cards. So, to push myself a little, I decided to try a masculine card for Beate's weekend sketch challenge. I'm actually pleased with the results, which is kind of surprising, since when I make cards for men, I usually end up with something that I think is just okay.

My color inspiration for this card was the scrap of paper from the Fall Flowers paper pack that has Really Rust, Groovy Guava, and Sahara Sand diagonal stripes. I used the large round image from In the Spotlight to create a "medallion" from a scrap of chipboard (cereal box) as the focal point of the card. I used the faux metal technique with copper embossing powder (which I will be cleaning up after I finish with this post--it blew everywhere!). The image is attached to a slightly larger Chocolate Chip circle with dimensionals since it won't lay flat for some reason.

I layered the patterned paper scrap on a piece of Sahara Sand cardstock and used the mat pack and paper piercing tool to create a line of holes along the edge of the Sahara Sand mat to match the dots along the edge of the medallion. The Really Rust cardstock is stamped with the Sanded background stamp. I love the textured look this background stamp creates. I think it's one of my favorite background stamps now.

I left off the sentiment so I can add one when I'm ready to use the card.

Materials Used:
In the Spotlight and Sanded stamp sets, Really Rust Classic ink, Sahara Sand, Chocolate Chip, and Really Rust cardstock, Fall Flowers designer paper, Classy Copper embossing powder, mat pack and paper piercing tool, photo corner punch, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); copper brads (Making Memories); 2" circle punch (Marvy Uchida); circle die (Nestabilities); brown ribbon (Michaels dollar bin)

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out really great! The colors are great too, very masculine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great guy card. The copper looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great masculine card Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really nice. I love the copper image too. Great guy card. Almost a shame to give it to a boy. Make sure there is a stamper in his life :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way the medallion turned out! I need to try this with the copper. Very fun for a fella!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great card! I really like the color combination you used and think the details (paper piercing, brads in the conner) you add really make it shine.

    Lori SBS2

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the medalion came out fabulous! Very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous, Lori! Love that medallion! Great masculine card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is nice! I need to try a masculine card. I have a hard time since I have this negative thought that they'd just toss it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMGosh, this is fabulous! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips