Friday, February 22, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 35

Let me start by saying I did not think I was going to be happy with anything I created for this week's challenge, which was to use Purely Pomegranate, Brilliant Blue, and Old Olive together, along with a neutral (white/vanilla). But, when all was said and done--or, rather assembled and cleaned up--I was actually pretty pleased with how my card for the challenge turned out.

For inspiration, I turned to the SU! Spring Summer Collection catalog. The catalog really is an idea book and sometimes I forget to draw from it. I really liked the layout I saw on page 110 with the flower from the Pretties Kit. I thought I'd use that as the basis for my card--with a few changes, including colors, images, and position of the elements on the card.

I don't have a Pretties Kit, so I figured I'd use a piece of chipboard or a cut out, large stamped instead of a flower on my card. Then, I remembered the big bag of silk-ish flowers I got at Lakeshore School Supply a few weeks ago. I dug through them and found a Brilliant Blue flower for my card. From there, the card almost assembled itself.

I used one of the definitions from Define Your Life as the main stamped image. I stamped it in Always Artichoke ink so it would stand out from the Old Olive background. I ran a piece of blue grosgrain ribbon around the panel and tied it in a knot, then created a paper pierced line along the bottom of the panel.

I layered one of the large Old Olive felt flowers from the Flower Fusion on to the blue silk flower, attaching them with a brad. I found a button in my collection that matched Purely Pomegranate exactly and attached that with a tiny glue dot, hiding the brad. I used my white gel pen to draw a line between the button holes--looks just like a tiny piece of thread in a fraction of the time it would take me to even *find* my thread and then knot it.

Be sure to check out what the other challenge players have created with these colors. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar to the right.

And one more thing--Have you checked out Crafts on a Whim? In addition to the great creations of her own that she shares, every Friday, Andrea from Crafts on a Whim selects a different crafter to highlight on her site. I'm thrilled and honored that Andrea has invited me to be today's featured crafter. You can find the article here.

Materials Used:

Define Your Life stamp set, Always Artichoke Classic ink, Old Olive, Brilliant Blue, and Purely Pomegranate cardstock, Flower Fusion felt flower, white gel pen, silver brad, glue dot, mat pack and paper piercing tool (Stampin' Up!); blue silk flower (Lakeshore School Supply); pomegranate button (Walmart); blue grosgrain ribbon (Michaels dollar bin)

20 comments:

  1. SO gorgeous. I love the fresh vibrancy of it. :0) I always forget to look in the catty for ideas, but it really has so many of them. The Close to my Heart one is great too... :0) Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lori! Congrats on being Featured Stamper! WTG!

    Love what you did with this colour combo. Your card turned out GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love that flower! It's such a great embellishment for this card. This is a wonderful card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the flower and how you met this challenge...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, bright, vibrant, full of life. Your flower accent is the best...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I adore this! You made this combo actually look appealing! LOL! The definition is perfect, as are the clean and simple line. Love your flower accent

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with your Lori...this week was definitely a challenge but you did GREAT! I love your card! So springy! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute card! I wasn't sure about this color combo either but in the end (same as you), I was pleased with how my card turned out. I love that added flower fusion felt flower. I haven't ordered those yet (they are now going on my wishlist)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the flowers on the card and the simple, clean look fo the card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card! Awesome color combination! Congratulations on being the featured stamper! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super Pretty. Love the Prima Flower - It really makes this card "Pop!" Will have to check out the layout you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This card is great, love how you put the color combination together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty card. Love the layout. Great job with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really nice. It is so fun to see how different all the cards look depending on how the colors are laid out. Great card and congrats on the featured stamper thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how you tweaked the layout from the SS collection! Also, the felt and pretties flowers layered together looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips