Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Wonderful River Rock

I'm back from a delicious dinner with my kindergarten teacher friends at Macaroni Grill and decided to give today's SCS color challenge a try. I've liked the SU! shade River Rock right from the start. I know that others have needed some convincing, but not me. I think that the combination in today's color challenge really shows the versatility of this color. When paired with black and white, River Rock becomes so elegant.

For this card I used basically the same layout as I used for the card I brought to a shoebox swap earlier this month. I even used the same stamp set, but picked a different image to showcase.
I stamped the leafy images from Wonderful You in River Rock multiple times on the white cardstock. I went back and forth a few times about whether or not I should sponge some ink along the edges of the panel, but eventually decided to leave the sponging out. I layered the stamped image on a River Rock mat with distressed edges, then on a piece of black cardstock. The cardfront is stamped with the Twill background stamp, one of my new favorite things.

The patterned paper strip is from the retired Apple Cider paper pack that was in the SU! Holiday mini catalog. The dots on the River Rock cardstock made it easy for me to line up the brads pretty straight and easily for a change! To go along with the dotted paper, I chose a piece of dotted organdy ribbon to tie around the image panel.

The sentiment was one change from the shoebox swap version of this layout. I stamped "wonderful you" in white ink on a scrap of black cardstock, then used a circle punch to punch the sentiment out. I added a brad to the circle to go with the rest of the dots on the card, then attached it to the card with dimensionals. I found a brad in my collection that was an *almost* perfect match for River Rock--I think it's from a Creating Keepsakes package I picked up a long time ago. I'm glad I remembered I had it!

Materials Used:
Wonderful You and Twill background stamp sets, River Rock Classic ink, White Craft ink, River Rock, Basic Black, and Whisper White cardstock, Apple Cider designer paper, 1 1/4" circle punch, distressing tool, dimensional (Stampin! Up!); black brads (Making Memories); River Rock brad (Creating Keepsakes); black dotted organdy ribbon (Michaels)

6 comments:

  1. Very nice job for the challenge today. Beautiful Card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Lori! I love this combo too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, your card is fabulous! Love your layout and should jot it down in my sketch book, well when I can find it...haha!
    I am one of those people that needed some convincing...it's not my typical colour choice but used with WW and Black it looked nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, Lori! Great job on the challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the challenge. Gorgeous..I love Macaroni Grill. They are building one in our town..I can't wait, now I won't have to travel an hour to eat there. Have a nice afternoon. chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of river rock either - but this color challenge has really spotlighted the fact that it is a great color - your card is great - love the ribbon too!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips