Friday, March 14, 2008

Bored of Birthday Cards Yet?

Here's yet another birthday card, this one using Lauren's Saturday sketch. At the request of one of my colleagues, I'm working on making some masculine birthday cards, so I thought I'd try to create one with this sketch. It was so hard to not add lots and lots of embellishments or sparkle here! I really wanted to make the cupcake top sparkly--I may have to make a girly version of this one, too . . .

I used the Big Bold Birthday set for the main image and sentiment. I stamped the cupcake bottom directly on the white circle panel. The cupcake top was stamped on a white scrap using the rock and roll technique with two just slightly different shades of brown ink, then trimmed and attached with a dimensional.

I used some striped paper from one of the Prints Series designer paper packs for the main part of the slanted panel. Since the stripes are actually made of a series of tiny dots, I used my paper piercer to imitate this in the red mat at the edge of the striped paper.

The "make a wish" sentiment fits *exactly* inside the word window punch. I had just enough room to fit it in the bottom right corner of my card.

The brads were a last minute addition after I decided the card was missing a little something. So last minute, in fact, that I added them after the layers were glued to the cardfront beyond the point where they could be lifted to hide the brad backs. I guess I'll be adding a little scrap to the inside of the card to hide them--LOL! It's not a particularly exciting or fancy card, but I think it will work well for a guy.

Materials Used:
Big Bold Birthday stamp set, Real Red, Close to Cocoa, and Chocolate Chip Classic inks, Real Red, Close to Cocoa, Blue Bayou, and Whisper White cardstock, Close to Cocoa Prints Series designer paper, word window punch, mat pack and paper piercing tool, silver brads, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); circle dies (Nestabilities)

7 comments:

  1. Oh I totally love it! Great colors. A great one for a masculine b-day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY creative! I love looking at work like this! You're very talented! Great job with this layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never get bored of Cards!
    Great job with Lauren's sketch.
    Sweet Card...I love the cupcake..
    and the colors.
    Fantastic Card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great layout! Great job this week! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute card and sketch! You can never have too many b-day cards! You placed those brads perfectly - I always have trouble getting mine to line up perfect - like yous!! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with this card. I love the colors and the cupcake!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips