Friday, March 14, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 38

This week's challenge was to create a birthday card. I actually needed some birthday cards for this week, so I was thrilled about the challenge. I ended up making two cards to share today. They use the same patterned paper and the same basic sketch, just flipped around a bit. The paper is by Junkitz and its bright cupcake pattern is perfect for birthday cards.

This one was made with SU!'s A Little Birdie Told Me. This is such a versatile stamp set. I stamped the bird image on the white panel and outlined it with a pale gray marker. Then, I stamped the bird image again on a scrap of paper and colored the image with Copic markers. I cut it out and attached it to the circle panel with a dimensional. This way, I can add a little dimension to the image without having to worry about trimming around the skinny legs, since they're on the white panel already. I stamped the hat on another scrap. I colored it with markers, added a little glitter and attached it to the circle panel, too. Here, I used an earth toned color scheme, working off the oranges, reds, and yellows in the patterned paper.

For this card, I went with an entirely different--and much brighter--color scheme. This card uses an adorable Hero Arts cupcake clear stamp set I found at my local stamp store. I stamped the cupcake on white cardstock. Just like with the bird, I stamped the image again then colored it with Copic markers. I added some sparkle to the sprinkles with a Stardust pen, too. I cut out and attached the cupcake top to the stamped image with dimensionals.

On this card, I added a little more embellishment. I did some paper piercing around the scalloped mat and on the sentiment panel. This kind of coordinates with the dots in the patterned paper.

Be sure to check out what the other challenge players have created for this week's challenge. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used (first card):
A Little Birdie Told me stamp set, Ruby Red, Pumpkin Pie, and So Saffron cardstock, Very Vanilla grosgrain ribbon, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); patterned paper (Salsa line by Junkitz); circle dies (Nestabilities); white cardstock (Georgia Pacific); Graphite Black ink (Brilliance); markers (Copic Ciao)

Materials Used (second card):
Cupcakes stamp set (Hero Arts); Gable Green, Green Galore, Pixie Pink, and Barely Banana cardstock, white grosgrain, dimensionals, mat pack and paper piercing tool (Stampin' Up!); patterned paper (Salsa line by Junkitz); circle and scalloped circle dies (Nestabilities); Graphite Black ink (Brilliance); white cardstock (Georgia Pacific); clear Stardust pen (Sakura); markers (Copic Ciao)

19 comments:

  1. Oh, both these cards are lovely. I love that cupcake paper. Goes great with either card. Colors are perfect and remind me of icing...good job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are fantastic Lori! Love that DP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh!!! These are super cute!!! almost makes me wish it was my birthday..... love the pattern paper - it's perfect for the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both FAB! I just luv the bird, fantastic colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are too cute! Love the dimension on both. That cupcake paper is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them both! That patterned paper is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute - nice and cheery birthday cards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are both fantastic! Such great color combinations! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of these are super cute and so well done, and I LOVE that adorable cupcake dp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both cards are great...what a super layout and with just a couple of switches, it's a brand new card!!! Great choice of colors and paper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lori these cards a just plain FUN! Love them both. Great colors and yes the perfect background paper for them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all your birthday cards! I'm always looking for masculine card inspiration, too! Great job with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are adorable! I love the birdy the best. You colored him in awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love the layout of the first card. And the cupcake paper is just darling! Both are cute, cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cute! I love that pattern paper - used it for a friend's bday card a few months ago. Love that birdie!!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that cupcake paper Lori! It's really cute, and goes perfectly with your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute cards! I'm partial to the cupcake one. Great job coloring and that patterned paper is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! Don't know how I missed so much. You're creating like crazy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. both cards are great Lori!! the cupcake looks so yummy too!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips