Monday, March 24, 2008

Cupcake Birthday

I made this flap fold card for today's SCS technique challenge. I've seen these cards a few times in different places and thought they'd be fun to try, but this is the first time I've tried making one of them. It was so easy to make and it turned out so cute. You can find a tutorial for making a flap fold card here. My card is a little wider than in the directions--I used a 4" wide piece of cardstock instead of the 3 1/2" piece, but other than that, I followed the directions closely. I used my Scor-Pal to make the score lines--quick and easy.

I designed this with the idea of making a bright birthday card for a young child. I started with this striped American Crafts paper. It's simple lines and bright colors seemed perfect for a child's card. For the card base, I selected red cardstock with yellow accents to match the colors in the patterned paper.

For the main image, I stamped the cupcake in a circle image from the Happy Birthday Cupcake set from Kitchen Sink Stamps twice. I cut out one of the images using a Nestabilities circle die. I colored the cupcake from the other stamped image with Copic markers and covered the top with glitter. I cut the colored cupcake out and used a dimensional to attach it to the circle.

The wide grosgrain was a last minute addition. I originally used a narrow piece of grosgrain, tied around the top flap. I decided to give the wider ribbon a try on the bottom section of the card and liked that better, so it stayed.

Materials Used: Happy Birthday Cupcake stamp set (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Graphite Black ink (Brilliance); Red Magic and Thatched Straw chalk inks (Versamagic); Real Red and Yoyo Yellow cardstock, mat pack and paper piercing tool, Coluzzle , Dazzling Diamonds, dimensional(Stampin' Up!); patterned paper (American Crafts Swing Set); circle and scalloped circle dies (Nestabilities); yellow grosgrain ribbon (Michaels); yellow brads (Making Memories); magnetic snap (Basic Grey); markers, gold glitter pen (Copic); white cardstock (Georgia Pacific)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips