Sunday, March 23, 2008

Not So Wonderful . . .

I made this card for today's featured stamper challenge on SCS and now that it's done, I'm not thrilled with it. I love the simple lines of the original card (see it here) and wanted to duplicate that on my version. I got the simple lines part okay, but I think my proportions are off here.

The original card was a square shape and I rearranged my version to be a standard sized card with a vertical orientation. For the main image, instead of the branch image from Papertrey Ink's Out on a Limb, I used one of the stamps from Stem Silhouettes. I colored it with Chocolate Chip and Ruby Red markers, then stamped it on a piece of Soft Sky cardstock. I added some Stickles to the image, too. I think that's where my problem with this card is--the Soft Sky piece is too big. It needs to be about a half inch less "tall" to work right. I added a scalloped edge to the piece for a little more "filler" for the longer layout and that helps a little.

Other than that, I really like the color combination and the layout, especially how the sentiment was done. That was one of the things I kept from the original card. I did add an additional layer and a copper brad to the sentiment to make it pop. I also changed the placement and type of ribbon on the card. I used SU!'s new poly-twill ribbon. This stuff is nice! Really pretty and easy to tie, too.

Materials Used:
Stem Silhouettes and Wonderful You stamp sets, Chocolate Chip Classic ink, Chocolate Chip and Ruby Red markers, Chocolate Chip, Soft Sky, River Rock, Ruby Red, and Very Vanilla cardstock, white vellum, mat pack and paper piercing tool, slit punch, 1 3/8" and 1 1/4" circle punches, Chocolate Chip poly-twill ribbon, glue dots, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); Candy Cane Stickles (Ranger); copper brad (Making Memories); 1 1/8" circle punch (EK Success)

2 comments:

  1. I think it's lovely Lori! I can't see anything wrong with it. You know .... we are our own worst critics ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the yellow scallop you used, it is a great addition. I agree with Dawn, we can be our own worst critics.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips