Sunday, April 20, 2008

Color Blocked Floral Silhouette

I made this color blocked card for today's SCS featured stamper challenge. The original card (see it here) featured three distinct blocks of color that were so striking along with a dramatic, dark floral silhouette image. I kept those features--the ones that caught my eye--when I created my version of the card.

For my card, I used one of the large floral silhouette images from Starving Artistamps on the panel on the far right. I think these flowers are poppies. I stamped the image two times, placing it at different angles and heights on the panel to create the illusion of one continuous image. I used Versafine black ink, which gives a deep, rich imprint and contrasts nicely with the cardstock. I added a few dots of Yellow Stickles to the centers of some of the flowers for some sparkle.

I made some changes in the colors on my version of the card. I used a different shade of yellow, selecting a more orange version, and replaced the blue panel with an olive one. I also changed the arrangement of the panels. My floral panel is shifted to the right side of the card. When I came to the block with the sentiment, I didn't have a frame to fit the sentiment I used. So, I improvised a little. I used one of the empty tag rims that goes with the Making Memories tag maker as a frame. It was the perfect size for my sentiment. In keeping with the earthy tones of the card, I matted the colorblocked panel on a piece of kraft cardstock. It ended up with kind of a fall look and feel, but I do like how it turned out.

Materials Used:
large floral silhouette image (FS-8) and sentiment (Starving Artistamps); Summer Sunrise cardstock (Papertrey Ink); Onyx Black ink (Versafine); square silver tag rim (Making Memories); Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Kraft, and Basic Black cardstock, Basic Black grosgrain ribbon, silver brads (Stampin' Up!); Yellow Stickles (Ranger)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the changes you made, Lori! Your flowers look amazing! It really was a popular card today (I CASEd it, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Lori!
    Love the look of the black flowers on the marigold paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these bright colours and the way you added the center to the silhouette flowers. That's a stroke of genius! :0) mel

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips