Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Survivor Challenge

In honor of the season finale of Survivor, this week's challenge on the Great Swaps Girls blog was to use a limited set of supplies to create a card. When you have so much "stuff" to choose from, it is so hard to stick to a limit! The limits here included 1 stamp set, 2 colors (plus any neutrals), 1 tool, and 1 embellishment. Even with the limits, I like what I came up with. I guess that's a good reminder that clean and simple works, too.

I started with picking a stamp set. I went with Wonderful You for a few reasons. First, because of how the images are in the set, I knew I could get a lot of variation in the two colors by stamping off and second, it had sentiments to include on the card. I paired it with a scrap of patterned paper from the Fall Flowers pack. I decided to use Soft Sky (one of my favorite colors) along with Old Olive as my two colors, plus kraft cardstock as the card base.

I stamped the outline of the leafy image once in Old Olive, then inked up the solid image and stamped off one time before stamping on the image panel. Then, I brushed the image panel against the Soft Sky and Old Olive ink pads to add a little subtle color around the image. I added the sentiment on the bottom right corner of the panel.

For my one embellishment, I chose a piece of kraft taffeta ribbon. I tried a few different ribbons (wide Soft Sky grosgrain, Chocolate Chip poly twill, etc) before settling on this one. For my one tool, I picked the paper piercer. I used it along the bottom edge of the cardfront and around the top of the image panel. Piercing around the image panel kind of reminded me of the pattern in the paper (the petals around the flower center).

Now I'm off to dinner with some of my kindergarten teacher friends. We're planning a delicious Mexican food meal at Rio Grande--yum!

Materials Used (all from Stampin' Up!):
Wonderful You stamp set, Old Olive and Soft Sky Classic inks, Old Olive, Soft Sky, Kraft, and Confetti White cardstock, Fall Flowers designer paper, kraft taffeta ribbon, paper piercing tool

4 comments:

  1. This is so pretty, love the craft paper

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so pretty! I just love this clean and simple look! You more than survived....you flourished! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Survivor challenge card, Lori! You've made some fabulous cards with that stamp set. Love your new banner, too!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips