Friday, June 20, 2008

Simple-Not!

By the looks of it, this should have been a quick card for Kristina's Color Inspiration Challenge. There's not much cutting, not much stamping, and not much stuff on this card. But arranging those little flowers was a time-consuming process . . .

Anyway, the challenge was to combine Sahara Sand, Wild Wasabi, So Saffron, and Whisper White in your creation. I don't have Wild Wasabi ink or even much of the paper left, so I decided to look at the challenge from another angle. I had a tin of Build a Flower Accents & Elements that I got at last year's SU! convention that included Wild Wasabi self-adhesive die cuts, so I decided to build my card around those.

I layered a bunch of the flowers from the tin to create three entirely different looking flowers. To get dimension in the flowers, the different layers are attached with dimensionals. So that the layers don't stick to each other, I patted the adhesive on the back with my Powder Pal to make the adhesive less sticky. To finish the flowers, I added a tiny, tiny self-adhesive flat-back pearl to the center of each one.

Then, I arranged, rearranged, and rearranged them some more on the cardfront. Finally, when I was satisfied with the arrangement, I pressed them down, then added the stamped sentiment. It's from the new Flower Garden Sentiments mini set from Papertrey Ink. I used a VersaMagic chalk ink that's a pretty close match to Wild Wasabi (at least I think it is!).

I'm off to catch up on this week's General Hospital episodes--my long-time favorite TV show just won the Daytime Emmy award for best daytime drama tonight!

Materials Used:
Flower Garden Sentiments stamp set (Papertrey Ink); Sahara Sand, So Saffron, Wild Wasabi, and Whisper White cardstock, mat pack and paper piercing tool, white gel pen, Build a Flower Accents & Elements (Stampin' Up!); threaded water punch (Fiskars); white satin ribbon, self-adhesive flat-back pearls (Target); Tea Leaves chalk ink (VersaMagic)

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! I love the scalloped edge with the holes punched. How cute! Great layout too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful! My favorite so far!
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the color combo and the layout. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card! I would never have guessed the ink you stamped the sentiment in wasn't Wild Wasabi (at least from the picture).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Lori! Awesome layout and details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the layered blooms and the scalloped white border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it....the color combo, the scallops, the flowers....just fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! I love the scallops. Makes this card look elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet and simple - love what you did with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on top 10 and making such a great card. I love the layout.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips