Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Unity Owls

I had a little time to stamp tonight so I decided to break in one of my new kits from Unity Stamp Company, Owl Always Love You. I used a sketch challenge from the Unity Member Company forum on SCS to create this card. Unity is releasing a bunch of new kits tomorrow and I think that one or two (maybe more . . .) might find their way to my house as a pre-graduation gift to myself.

I stamped the owls on cream cardstock and colored them with Copic markers. The eyes are filled in with a yellow Glaze pen for a shiny look. I replaced the ribbon in the sketch with the branch image, stamped in Close to Cocoa craft ink with a few Certainly Celery craft ink leaves as an accent. The owls were cut out and placed on the branch with dimensionals.

I used the flower image from the owl set for the base image on the sentiment panel, then stamped "us" from Sentiments O'Simple over the flower in craft ink. I layered a few circles in colors that matched the owls and added a ribbon scrap .

The notches in the border were created using a 3/4" circle punch. I think I would have liked this better without the notches, but I tried it anyway to stay with the sketch.

I'm off to clean up the mess Cosmo the crazy dog made while I was at work today. Something freaked him out and he went into a bathroom and destroyed a roll of toilet paper, chewed a bit of a shower curtain, and "attacked" a large, pretend palm tree that was stored in my (unused) shower. What am I doing with a palm tree in my bathroom, you may ask? Well, it's another remnant of my kindergarten teaching days. The tree was a big, interactive model for the tree in the classic book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom that used to hang out in my classroom. It's in the shower because, well, there was nowhere else to keep it that kept it hidden from Cosmo, who, until today, was deathly afraid of it. I guess it's better that he ripped up the toilet paper and the tree than if he'd eaten my literature review for class . . .

Materials Used:
Owl Always Love You and Sentiments O'Simple stamp kits (Unity Stamp Company); cream and Summer Sunrise cardstock, Summer Sunrise grosgrain ribbon (Papertrey Ink); patterned paper (Magnolia); Close to Cocoa and Certainly Celery Craft inks, Soft Sky Classic ink, Soft Sky and Close to Cocoa cardstock, circle punches, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); yellow Glaze pen (Sakura); markers (Copic Ciao); Vintage Sepia ink (Versafine)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, those owls are so cute and I really love the striped paper! Very pretty card.

    Wow, your dog really did a number in your bathroom! He must have been bored. . .LOL!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite Unity sets! I love your coloring on them.
    Poor Cosmo! Isn't it sad to think he was alone and got scared?

    Holly
    hogwildaboutstamping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the orange and the way you used the striped dp with the branch on top. Brilliant! :0)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips