Friday, July 25, 2008

Papertrey Ink's Blog Hop 5


It's the 25th of the month, so it's time for another Papertrey Ink Blog Hop. These Blog Hops are so much fun--it's amazing to spend time looking at all of the creative ways that different people approach the challenges. This month's challenge was to use vellum in some form in your project. I'm looking forward to seeing some new and creative uses for this stuff as I visit the participating blogs.


I thought about this challenge for a while before coming up with my project idea. I decided to use the Guide Lines set to create a faux stained glass piece for the focal point of my card.

To create the "stained glass," I stamped the grid lines and one of the interior images on a piece of white vellum using Versamark, then heat embossed the piece using black embossing powder. Then, I used Copic markers in shades of blues and greens to color in the image. Initially, I colored the back side (opposite of the embossing). When I looked at it closely, the color wasn't as vivid as I would have liked. I ended up flipping over the vellum and carefully coloring the embossed side. I say carefully because the alcohol ink in the markers makes the embossed lines smear a little bit.

I used oval Nestabilities dies to make a window opening in the cardfront and to create a frame for the stained glass piece. I added tiny self-adhesive blue-green pearls to the center of the stamped images.

I stamped one of the elegant sentiments from PTI's Mixed Messages stamp sets directly on the cardfront in Dark Chocolate ink. I added a trio of pearls under the sentiment, then tied a coordinating piece of dotted ribbon around the cardfront. I think the blue/brown combo is so elegant!

Materials Used:
Guide Lines and Mixed Messages stamp sets, Aqua Mist and Dark Chocolate cardstock, Dark Chocolate Palette ink, Dark Chocolate Swiss dot satin ribbon (Papertrey Ink); markers (Copic Ciao); oval dies (Nestabilities); Versamark, black embossing powder, white vellum (Stampin' Up); self-adhesive pearls

33 comments:

  1. What an original idea - I love this card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Love the idea and how it turned out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so cool, the stained glass look, is so amazing great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! Your stained glass effect really pops! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful creation!! I love the vivid colors! Such patience - wow!! I also love the blue pearls and black ribbon. Perfect touch to finish off the card wonderfully!! Thanks for the inspiration! I will definately have to give the stained glass effect a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WICKED...I love that teh colours are so saturated!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the effect you have created, fabulous card

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW - that is beautiful! I am definitely going to try this technique! Love your coloring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely beautiful. The stained glass looks so cool and your pattern is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Your card is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful! love the pearls and great color combo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the stained glass look! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is sooo pretty! The colors really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the stained glass.

    Marie
    http://scrappingworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! Way to think out of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous stain glass Lori! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two great inspirations in one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea with the stained glass. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How unique & very beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! This was my favorite of them all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great card. One of my favourite things to do with velum is to heat emboss an image and colour the inside to create a stained glass look.

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful card Lori! What a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE this stained glass----I'm seeing this with the cross from Everyday Blessings behind or in front of it....thanks for the idea! So clever and beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have been stalking your blog for a couple of months now and decided now that I started mine I should say Hi! Hi Lori, My name is Sherri and Your blog is an inspiration for me. Great Work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The colors are sooo rich. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is awesome!!! Love it...very striking!

    I just wanted to give you a tip we learned at Copic Certification....emboss in clear powder to avoid the bleed thing.
    Hope this helps if you try it again!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips