Friday, July 25, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 57

This week's challenge theme is Christmas in July. Since I don't celebrate Christmas, I went with a more generic holiday-themed card for the challenge.

I used the Snow Flurry set from Kitchen Sink Stamps to create this window card. Whenever I use this set, I feel the need to do something sparkly and this card was no exception. It was definitely inspired by the graduation card Maria sent me earlier this week. She put some really fine, sparkly glitter between the layers of acetate in her card, creating a really cool, shimmery effect and I did that here, too. I put a little bit of Dazzling Diamonds between the layers of my acetate window and sealed it with adhesive before assembling the card. Unfortunately, my photography doesn't show this off too well . . .

The colors for my card are non-traditional for holiday cards, as are most of the ones I make. I really like the retired Wintergreen patterned paper from SU! and used that as the basis for my card. It's funny--I rarely use Sage Shadow, but I've used it for the last two cards I've posted. Anyway, the Sage Shadow and patterned paper coordinated nicely with Papertrey Ink's Aqua Mist cardstock, so I used that for the main part of the card. I stamped the large snowflake panel image in silver ink directly on the inside of the card so it would be visible through the acetate window, then added a sentiment from Ready 4 Any Holiday in gray ink.

Today's the last day to take advantage of the summer sale at Kitchen Sink Stamps. To get the 15% discount, enter the promotion code "HOT" at checkout. What a great way to celebrate Christmas in steamy hot July--and maybe get a head start on your holiday cards!

For other holiday card ideas, check out the other challenge participants' blogs. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
Snow Flurry and Ready 4 Any Holiday stamp sets (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Basic Gray Classic ink, Sage Shadow cardstock, Wintergreen designer paper, gray taffeta ribbon, Dazzling Diamonds, silver Encore ink (Stampin' Up!); Aqua Mist cardstock (Papertrey Ink); rectangle die (Nestabilities)

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful card, and such a cool idea about sandwiching the shiny stuff between two layers of acetate. Brilliant and stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lori, this is just gorgeous. Love that you chose non traditional colors, and BTW I LOVE Sage Shadow and use it fairly often. I agree with Lynn - this is brilliant and stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! That paper was my favorite, too. You did a wonderful job with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful - love the colors and the bling on the acetate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely card, so cool and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of putting the glitter between two pieces of acetate. I bet this card is just so shimmery in person. Lovely job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty Lori! Love all the sparkle! You did a beautiful job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! So soft and pretty! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty...I like the soft feel this card has and the shimmer from the glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very soft colours, and love all the sparkles. Really like what you have done with this card, thanks for sharing.

    :)Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! Love the softness of this card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This background paper was among my favorites this past year as well. So, of course, it's a no brainer that I just love what you've done with it! The glitter between the acetate is pure genius. GREAT card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! Very soft and elegant! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea to stamp the silver behind the acetate--really makes for a stunning card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous card Lori! I love those Wintergreen papers too!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips