Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bears and Flowers?

I made this simple card for today's featured stamper challenge on SCS. My card is based on this card in Kim's gallery. I changed the color scheme and the stamp set used, along with a few other details. Believe it or not, the stamps I used are from the new Get Well Teddy stamp set from Kitchen Sink Stamps. In addition to the adorable teddy bear image (see it in this post), these great three-step flower images are also part of the set. I am loving the versatility of this set.

I stamped the two-step stem and three-step flower image (they're separate so they're easy to use) at varying heights in the inked blue box I created. The flowers are a combination of Regal Rose and Rose Red Classic inks. I added a trio of Regal Rose brads at the corner of the like Kim did in her card. I omitted the paper piercing because I was kind of in a hurry to complete the card. My best friend from high school was in town this weekend and I needed to get in my car to get to Baltimore's Inner Harbor (an hour away) to meet her and her family for a little birthday celebration for her two-year old. I made cards to go with the gifts I bought for her girls and now that I'm home, I'm kicking myself because I realize that in my rush to leave earlier this afternoon, I forgot to take pictures of the cute cards . . .

The sentiment is stamped in coordinating Rose Red ink. Before tying the ribbon around the image panel, I layered the moss and cream ribbons, then tied them for a different look.

Here's a little helpful tip for you. I used the reverse masking technique to create the inked box on the cardfront. Instead of cutting out and creating a mask, I pulled out something already available in my collection and temporarily "converted" it into a mask--a rectangle Nestabilities die.

I placed just a bit of removable adhesive on the flat side of the die, stuck it where I wanted it on the paper, then sponged in the Bashful Blue ink to create a simple background for my images. When I was done, I lifted away the die and wiped off the ink and adhesive before putting it away. It left a perfect rectangle to work with. Just another way to make use of this great tool . . .

Materials Used:
Get Well Teddy stamp set (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Regal Rose, Rose Red, Bashful Blue, and Always Artichoke Classic inks, Rose Red Classic ink, Spring Moss grosgrain ribbon, Regal Rose brads, sponge (Stampin' Up!); rectangle die (Nestabilities); cream satin ribbon (Target); cream cardstock (Papertrey Ink)

5 comments:

  1. What a great tip. Yesterday I made a card with a reverse mask and had the hardest time with it. This would have made it so simple. Thank you tons for this tip.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh! thanks for the tip!
    beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Lori! I've been wanting to play with those flowers - great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great card. So simple, clean and elegant. I really like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! thanks for the masking tips!
    Hugs~ Kim

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips