Friday, August 15, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 60

This week's challenge was to create a birthday card. I decided to use one of the sets I received at the SU! convention that hasn't seen any ink since I got it home. Flight of the Butterfly is a great 2-step stamping set with lots of possibilities. I thought that the "hope your day is as happy as happy gets" would make a nice birthday sentiment.

The color combination I used was inspired by a feature in domino magazine. I'm not a domino subscriber, but for some reason, the magazine shows up in my mailbox every month. It features lots of home decor ideas, including a section that highlights some trendy color palettes for painting. The combo I was looking at was an almost identical match to SU!'s Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette, and Very Vanilla.

I stamped the butterfly image on Very Vanilla cardstock using a combination of Riding Hood Red and Pink Pirouette inks. I stamped the butterfly image again on a piece of vellum. I cut the vellum butterfly out and attached it over the butterfly on the vanilla panel, only placing adhesive at the butterfly's center. This let me fold the wings back for a 3-d effect. I added the sentiment and a pair of smaller butterflies to the panel, then layered it on coordinating cardstock mats. I found a scrap of Bella Rose designer paper to use on the cardfront.

As I was assembling the card, I got the idea to use the set to make a "joy fold" card. Since the way I had arranged the butterfly image and sentiment on the panel didn't work for the layout I had in mind, I finished the first card and started all over again (after I had cleaned the stamps, of course!).

I stamped the butterfly image again, this time leaving out the vellum layer since the card has a lot of layers and movement without it. I varied this version a little bit from the first by using an additional color. I layered the stamped panel on a Chocolate Chip mat and added a photo corner with brads as an accent.

I created the cardfront from a piece of Pink Pirouette cardstock. I decided to leave the back panel "plain" so that it kept the focus on the butterfly image. For the left panel of the card, I used a scrap of checked Bella Rose designer paper, wrapped with a piece of Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon.

For more great birthday card ideas, check out the rest of the blogger challenge participants. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used (all from Stampin' Up!):
Flight of the Butterfly stamp set, Pink Pirouette and Riding Hood Red Classic ink, Pink Pirouette, Riding Hood Red, Very Vanilla, and Chocolate Chip cardstock, vellum, Bella Rose designer paper, Pretty in Pink taffeta ribbon, Chocolate Chip wide grosgrain ribbon, photo corner punch, mat pack and paper piercing tool, silver brads

26 comments:

  1. These are wonderful, Lori! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors - the butterfly just pops off the card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors - the butterfly just pops off the card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both cards are fabulous. I absolutely LOVE the colors and your designs are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them both, these cards are fun and cute.

    :) Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute cards Lori. I love that butterfly but probably won't get it because it is too much like others I already have. The colors are wonderful. Wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this set a lot and these colors go wonderful together! Great job doing 2 cards this week and I need to try those joy fold cards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love this color combo together. THe way you stamped the butterfly images is wonderful too! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fabulous cards. So glad you decided to share 2 with us. Love the new stamp set.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute cards...that color combo is awesome. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both of the cards. I've been using this set a lot since I've come back from Convention.

    The mix of the patterned paper is just so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! I love the butterfly with that polka dotted DP! Thanks for the inspiration and great job this week! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both cards are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are both great! I love how you layered the butterfly twice...so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lori, can I just tell you, these cards of yours will make me mount this convention stamp set! I wasn't sure I liked it...and now I HAVE to make these cards! Wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both cards are wonderful. The color combo is so pretty together. I love that set (it's on my "Wish" list).

    ReplyDelete
  17. The perfect card for this challenge, love the directional flow of your images.
    Connie Paxman

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are just wonderful! I really need to pull out that cute little butterfly set from Convention and just have fun with it! Your cards are cerainly inspiration for that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What pretty cards Lori! I just love these colors together and your butterflies turned out beautifully! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such nice cards, I love this set and have it on my very long wish list from the new cattie. Love the colors you used! Very cute and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful cards, Lori. I especially love the 1st one. Casing for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome color combo! Love how the pink makes the red pop and looks so good together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are both beautiful cards. The color combo is great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very pretty! Love the vellum butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are so pretty! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Terrific Lori. An inspiration for sure. Love the colors you chose and the layout of each!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips