Monday, August 25, 2008

Papertrey Ink Blog Hop 6

It's time for another Papertrey Ink Blog Hop. Each month, Nichole provides a theme for participating bloggers to create projects around. I've found that the Blog Hop themes really challenge me to create things that I might not ordinarily do. This month's theme was altered CD cases. It took me a while to come up with a project idea using a CD case. I have a bunch of round metal CD tins that I found on clearance at Joann and couldn't resist (12 for $5.00-that's a great deal!). I knew I wanted to use one of these, but that was pretty much it.

Finally, I decided to create a travel tic tac toe kit using one of the metal CD tins, some glass pebbles, magnet tape, and PTI stuff. Here's a view of the outside of the game.

I covered one side of the metal tin with one of the patterned papers from the Bitty Baby Blessings paper pack. I used Mono Multi to glue the paper to the tin, but ModPodge probably would have worked, too. Then, I added a coordinating scallop edged rectangle panel, embellished with a piece of knotted Lemon Tart twill ribbon and a paper covered chipboard star.

I used my Cropodile to punch a pair of holes in the bottom of the tin. I threaded some more Lemon Tart twill through the holes to create a simple, sturdy handle for the game tin.



The inside of the tin houses the tic tac toe board and the playing pieces. To make the playing pieces, I stamped the star image from the Limitless Labels set on scraps of Blush Blossom and Summer Sunrise cardstock, then used a 3/4" circle punch to punch out circles to fit the glass pebbles I had. I used bolder colored inks so that they'd still be visible through the glass pebbles. To attach the cardstock to the glass pebbles, I used a dot of Crystal Effects. I pressed down so that the adhesive spread to pretty much cover the circle. After letting these set a bit, I flipped them over and added a piece of magnetic tape to the backs. This lets them stick to the tin for easy storage and to the game board, too.

I made the game grid by inking just a portion of the grid image from Guide Lines in Dark Chocolate ink. I used a circle Nestabilities die to cut out the grid, then created a scalloped circle to frame it. The center of the scalloped circle is cut out so that the magnets will stick--the PTI cardstock is thick, so three layers was too much for the magnets to handle!

I'm looking forward to seeing what the other Blog Hop participants have done using CD cases. Hopefully I'll have a bunch of new ideas for the ones I have just waiting to be used . . .

Materials Used:
Guide Lines and Limitless Labels stamp sets, Berry Sorbet and Dark Chocolate Palette inks, Summer Sunrise, Lemon Tart, and Sweet Blush cardstock, Bitty Baby Blessings patterned paper, Lemon Tart twill ribbon (Papertrey Ink); On Board chipboard star, 3/4" circle punch, Crystal Effects, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); circle and petite scalloped circle dies (Nestabilities); Cropodile; magnetic tape; metal CD tin; glass pebbles

30 comments:

  1. Awesome altered project Lori! Very pretty and very useful too! I love altering projects. . .they are just so fun to see what you end up with. Well, you did a fabulous job!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea, and what a great find with the tins! WOW. I did not know that the blog hop was open to everyone! I will have to watch for next months. Sounds like loads of fun. You really did a fatastic job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I never thought of the tin cases! I love the pebbles on the game pieces. Very nice. -Molly B

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great deal! And such a cute idea! This would make the best gift for kids... especially ones getting ready to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my kids would love this! and its so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute purse! The tic tac game is a really good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you used a round metal tin. It makes such a great item for this project, you don't have to worry about breakage. very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. darling! love the little game pieces!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so cute!! i have never seen round ones...what a great idea for the car trips!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a cute little case. The magnets are a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea Lori. My kids would love this!TFS-Erica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, you are on to something. I should have thought to use a metal tin cd holder. I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! I love the metal CD container and the idea of making it into a Tic Tac Toe board.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea; awesome execution! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How clever to use a round metal tin--very cool game board!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool idea. I like the round cd cases too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool idea. I like the round cd cases too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like the variety of the round case!! What a fun idea for kids and would work great in a classroom!! Thanks for sharing.
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow this is awesome... I totally would have bought these up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. :) What a great idea...it would so totally come in handy when traveling! Love your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome job! I did not get a chance to do the blog hop this month. Love your altered CD!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ooo, I love that you used a CD tin. what a cute idea you came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute! Love the idea and the design.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How creative and how cute. I like that!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips