Friday, September 19, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 65

This week's challenge was to watercolor. You don't see watercoloring a lot here and there's a good reason for that. I'm not good at watercoloring at all! I don't get that dark and light stuff and nothing ever blends well for me and it all ends up looking a mess. But, I gave it a shot for the challenge anyway . . .

I used the open flower image from Wonderful You for my main images. I stamped it three times in black Staz-on ink on some watercolor paper. I used an aquapainter and reinkers to watercolor the images. For the flowers, I used Pink Pirouette, Regal Rose, and Rose Red. I added some Dazzling Diamonds to the centers of the flowers to cover the mess I made at the flower centers. I used a few green inks to color the stems, then finished with a light watercolor wash of Baja Breeze in the white space.

I kept the rest of the design for the card pretty simple. I tied a piece of white grosgrain ribbon around the card front, then layered a piece of Pink Pirouette Pattern Series paper over the ribbon. I placed a trio of Stamping Bella's sparkly pink dots on the patterned paper, along where the watercolored panel would lie. The watercolored panel is attached to a piece of Kiwi Kiss paper, then attached to the paper. I like the layout a lot, even though I'm not thrilled with how the image panel turned out.

If you want to see some amazing watercolored creations, check out the watercolored creations from the very talented members of the blogger challenge group. Links to their blogs are in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
Wonderful You stamp set, Black Staz-on, Pink Pirouette, Regal Rose, Rose Red, Kiwi Kiss, Old Olive, Always Artichoke, and Baja Breeze reinkers, aquapainter, Pink Pirouette, Regal Rose, and Kiwi Kiss cardstock, Patterns Series designer paper, Crystal Effects, Dazzling Diamonds (Stampin' Up!); pink dots (Stamping Bella); white grosgrain ribbon, watercolor paper (Michaels)

20 comments:

  1. Oh this is beautiful Lori. Such a lovely image, fabulous colors and a wonderful design layout. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a fine job with watercoloring!!! I really like the layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, I think it looks beautiful! Love how you colour washed the blue...I can't seem to get that part to work well for me...any tips? TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. not good at watercoloring?! You could've fooled me! this is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Love the soft colors. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful job, and your card is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out great! - The colors are so pretty and the shading looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori- I think you did an OUTSTANDING job! The colors are gorgeous and the beauty of watercoloring is you do NOT have to be PRECISE! Very well done! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you about watercoloring....it's alawys so pretty, when it's done right, which is something I usually cannot achieve! Yours, however, is lovely. You've done a great job on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sooo pretty! Love the effect...it's so soft and pretty! {SMILEs}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I think you are good at watercolouring. This is so soft and pretty.

    :) Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty card Lori! What a wonderful layout and your watercoloring really turned out lovely! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you did a great job! It's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job and I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it turned out wonderfully! It's so hard for us all to step out of a comfort zone and you did a GREAT job with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your card and layout! The colors are beautiful, and it looks so soft and feminine! Great job with this challenge! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty, Lori! Your watercoloring turned out just fabulous! The added sparkle to the flowers is a delightful touch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job on this challenge! I love the blue background. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so soft and pretty! i love your color choices and expert watercolor technique. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips