Friday, September 26, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 66

This week’s challenge was to create a Warhol card. This is a technique that’s based on the distinctive style of artist Andy Warhol. I went back to the Technique Junkies archives to find inspiration and directions for this style and in the end came up with kind of my own version. Probably not an authentic Warhol-style card, but I’m happy with it.

I created a fall-feeling card with a retro look and feel to it. I used one of the bold leaf images from the retired Autumn Fest set for my focal image. I stamped the leaf using craft inks so that there would be a nice, rich contrast between the inks and papers. Since I still have a limited number of craft ink pads, my color choices were kind of determined by what I had on hand—Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, and Close to Cocoa. I played around with the color combinations first, stamping the leaf image on scraps of cardstock to see how the colors looked best before settling on the combination I used for the card.

I layered the three leaf images on a strip of Chocolate Chip cardstock and added a brad to the lower left corner of each image panel. This seemed to fill some of the empty space in an interesting way. I layered a piece of Haiku designer paper across the cardfront, then wrapped a band of wide Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon around the card before placing the image panel on the card using dimensionals. I left off a sentiment because when I tried stamping on a scrap of the patterned paper, it was too hard to see it.

For more examples of the Warhol technique that are probably truer to the intended style, you can check out the other challenge participants’ blogs. You can find links in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used (all from Stampin’ Up!):
Autumn Fest stamp set, Close to Cocoa, Old Olive, and Pumpkin Pie Craft inks, Close to Cocoa, Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Chip, and Kraft cardstock, Haiku designer series paper, Chocolate Chip wide grosgrain ribbon, brads, dimensionals

18 comments:

  1. I like this one a lot, especially the addition of the patterned paper. I think that adds a lot to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure enjoy THIS type of Warhol better than the traditional black ink...it sure makes for a lovely Fall card. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice!!! The patterned paper adds just the right touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I love that Haiku DP and the simple leaf stamp really looks wonderful with this design! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job giving it a retro look! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the layout of your card using the Warhol technique. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is VERY pretty! Love the DP too!!! Great take on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is truly Warhol. You did great with the colors and all. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your take on the technique with the different color inks--great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! If you check out Warhol art you'll see that he used lots of different colors (not just black) on his images and that's exactly what you did here. Love the Fall theme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card. I love how your paper matches so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great job! i have to say...i really like retro warhol...maybe even better than pop art warhol....
    you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like how you came up with your own style of warhol and how you used the DSP! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh nicely done. I love how you incorporated some DSP into this.

    :) Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! What a sweet and fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really pretty! I love what you did with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this turned out wonderfully! Love the colors you chose, and the layout is fantastic...very creative!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips