Friday, September 26, 2008

A Sweet Pair

I made a pair of sweets themed cards for a pair of blogger weekend sketch challenges. Maybe the yummy scent of the blueberry bread I was baking influenced my thinking??

The first is for Beate's weekend sketch challenge. I really like this sketch and I have a feeling it's one I'll use again. For this version, I used the lollipop image from Unity Stamp Co.'s Delectable Delights kit. It's colored with Copic markers and highlighted with a little clear Stardust glitter pen. I also added a sparkly gem to the center of the lollipop's ribbon. I cut out the lollipop and attached over a light pink circle, then layered it on a larger darker rose scalloped circle.

I found this fun patterned paper in a Me & My Big Ideas paper pad. The circles reminded me of the lollipop image, so I decided to use it for the three panels on the cardfront. Originally, I had the panels matted on black cardstock, but it didn't work with the color combination I ended up using. So, I went back and carefully lifted them off of the cardfront and replaced them with ones matted on pink cardstock. I've found that using my paper piercing tool between the layers helps to lift them apart without much (if any) damage. I placed the sentiment on the far left panel on a word window punch to give it a little contrast from the busy background.

Materials Used:
Delectable Delights stamp kit (Unity Stamp Co.); white cardstock (Xerox); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); circle punch (Marvy Uchida); petite scalloped circle die (Nestabilities); markers (Copic Ciao); Regal Rose Classic ink, Regal Rose, Pink Pirouette, and Pumpkin Pie cardstock, Summer Picnic designer paper, Pumpkin Pie grosgrain ribbon, word window punch, mat pack and paper piercing tool, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); self-adhesive sparkle embellishment (Martha Stewart); patterned paper (Me & My Big Ideas Alison paper pad); clear Starudst pen (Sakura)

The second card is for Taylor's sketch challenge. Even though she calls it a cupcake challenge, they aren't a requirement. I thought a cupcake would be cute in this layout, so I went with it.

I used another set from Unity, Cupcakes a la Yummy, for the focal image and sentiment. I paper pieced the cupcake image to match the colors I used for the card.

I incorporated lots of dots and circles to match the cupcake image. The cardfront is covered with dotted paper from SU!'s Sweet Always papers. I also used the Swiss Dot embossing folder to emboss the smallest square layers on the cardfront. And, I switched up the shape of the focal image panel, from a square to a circle, to coordinate with the image, too.

I used a piece of striped paper along the bottom of the card. The sentiment is stamped directly on the patterned paper in craft ink. I'm really happy with how this one turned out!

Materials Used:
Cupcakes a la Yummy stamp kit (Unity Stamp Co.); Regal Rose Craft ink, Regal Rose, Pink Pirouette, and Basic Black cardstock, Sweet Always and Pink Pirouette Patterns designer papers, 1 1/4" and 1 3/4" square punch, 1 3/8" circle punch, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); black satin ribbon (Target); 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" circle punches (EK Success)

5 comments:

  1. So cute! Love the colors and the cute cupcake sentiment! Thanks for playing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Pretty - Love the Swiss Dot embossing on your cupcake card. Delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, as always your cards are great. Love the paper you paired with the images.
    Thanks for playing! Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially like the 1st card! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful card -- I love the pink/black combination -- so very pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips