Friday, October 17, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 69

This week's blogger challenge was a color challenge using Old Olive, Really Rust, and Riding Hood Red plus a neutral. I needed to make a thinking of you/sympathy card to send to a friend, so I thought I'd give this combination a try for that purpose.

I used the Floral Frenzy stamp set from Papertrey Ink for the main image and sentiment. I won this set in a random drawing during last month's PTI blog hop. I really liked the flower images in this set, but it had never made its way into my cart for purchase since I already have a lot of flower images. When I found out that I had won a free PTI set, I knew right away that this would be my choice.

I stamped the solid flower petals in Really Rust ink on a Very Vanilla panel, then stamped the outline image and flower center in Riding Hood Red ink. I added the stem and petals in Old Olive. The stamped image is matted on an Old Olive panel. I placed the image panel off center, with extra space on the left side of the panel so that I'd have room for a paper pierced column.

I stamped the sentiment in Riding Hood Red on a scrap of Very Vanilla cardstock and added a rust colored button, threaded with some twine, to the panel.

The cardfront looked a little stark and bare, so I used a long border image from Papertrey Ink's Shapes by Design set to stamp a circle border strip along the left side of the card. This continued the circle element theme from the image and sentiment panels and added a little interest to the cardfront. I kept the layout clean and simple, which helped me finish this card pretty quickly.

This was a fun color combination to play with. Links to the talented participants in this blogger challenge group can be found in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
Floral Frenzy and Shapes by Design stamp sets (Papertrey Ink); Really Rust, Riding Hood Red, and Old Olive Classic inks, Really Rust, Riding Hood Red, Old Olive, and Very Vanilla cardstock, mat pack and paper piercing tool, glue dot, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); button, twine (Walmart)

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful Lori...I just love this set and your images really look quite wonderful with these colors. Have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity of this...very stunning! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great simple card. Very clean and neat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Pretty, Lori. Love that border stamp! Hey, congrats on Stampers Showcase yesterday. I have that card on my display board right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very pretty sympathy card. I like the simple lines of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet! I love the border. Totally makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. Love how you used the border!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty...love the faux stitches down the side, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just beautiful Lori. I love how you added the border to the side of the card. It brings everything into focus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lori- You do such an outstanding job with the understated beauty of cards! This is absolutely LOVELY! I can not seem to master the understated look. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. That border stamp makes the card! Really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful Lori! I love the border, I will have to remember that:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Lori! BTW - big congrats on all your cards that have been featured on Stampers Showcase lately!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is striking, love that flower. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so pretty. I love the flower you used and the way you did the border down the side.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely beautiful card - I love that stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a simple and clean card, it looks so crisp. I really like how you have worked the colours.

    :) Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty! These are good colors for a sympathy card.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips