Thursday, October 16, 2008

Color Inspiration and Other Challenges

Kristina posted another fun color inspiration challenge on her blog the other day. The featured colors were SU!'s Rose Red, Bashful Blue, So Saffron, and Wild Wasabi, along with Whisper White. I combined the challenge colors to create a clean, simple card.

I used strips of dotted paper from the retired SU! Prints Series designer paper packs for the panels on my cardfront. Am I the only person with tons of these paper packs left? I bet I'm not! Anyway, I matted each patterned panel on a matching solid panel and attached them to a white panel. I added a matching button to the bottom of each panel.

I used the "happy birthday" sentiment from Stem Sayings along the bottom of the card. This part of the card looked better in my mind than it did on paper, but otherwise I'm happy with the look of the finished card.

Materials Used:
Stem Sayings stamp set, Bashful Blue Classic ink, Rose Red, Bashful Blue, Wild Wasabi, and So Saffron cardstock, Rose Red, Bashful Blue, Wild Wasabi, and So Saffron Prints Series designer papers, glue dots (Stampin' Up!); buttons (Walmart); white cardstock (Georgia Pacific)

I also did cards for two Hip Hop Thursday challenges from the Unity Stamp Co. forum on SCS. The first one was for a challenge to make a kid-friendly card.
Mine uses the same colors as in the color inspiration challenge. I used two of the trees and one of the bird images from Giggle Grove to create a whimsical scene. Again, I made use of some of my tons of Prints Series designer paper. Here, I used the paper to paper piece the trees and as a panel for my cardfront. I stamped a sentiment from the Mix Up of Cuteness kit to finish the card.

Materials Used:
Giggle Grove and Mix Up of Cuteness stamp kits (Unity Stamp Co.); Rose Red Classic ink, Rose Red, Bashful Blue, Wild Wasabi, So Saffron, and Whisper White cardstock, So Saffron and Wild Wasabi Prints Series designer papers, 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches, photo corner punch, silver brads, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); Rich Cocoa ink (Memento); white grosgrain ribbon (Michaels)

The final card I have to share today was for a challenge to create a card using one of Unity's flower images. I used the flower pot image from the Whimsy Flowers kit as the focal image on my card. I colored the image with Copic markers. The flower images are embellished with the new Glitz Stickles in Ruby Red and some small self-adhesive rhinestones.

I based the colors for the flower pot on the colors in a piece of brightly patterned paper. I ended up using a different piece of paper than the one I'd planned to use--the colors still worked, so it worked out just fine. I used my sewing machine to make a zig zag border around the patterned paper panel and tied a piece of dotted orange ribbon around the panel, too. Since the stamped image is so big, I ended up leaving off any kind of sentiment. I think this card could work for a bunch of occasions, so I think that will work out okay.

Materials Used:
image, Whimsy Flowers kit (Unity Stamp Co.); white cardstock (Xerox); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic Ciao); Summer Sunrise and Sweet Blush cardstock (Papertrey Ink); buttons (Walmart); orange ribbon, self-adhesive rhinestones (Michaels); patterned paper (My Mind's Eye); Ruby Slippers Glitz Stickles (Ranger); sewing machine

5 comments:

  1. Lori... All of your cards are gorgeous. I love your Colour Challenge card... so simple but effective.

    Sarah
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked cards Lori! Love the buttons on your cards and your paper piecing!!! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful cards! They are so pretty! I love them! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cards! Especially the first one! Def a Kwerner pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your cards are so fun, but I really love the first one!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips