Friday, October 24, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 70

This week's blogger challenge was to share something you've made that you'd give as a gift. I actually made this project as my first ever entry to the monthly Papertrey Ink Guest Star Stamper contest last month, but I never shared it here. So, I figured this was a good time to do it. The project I submitted was this decorated box with four yummy, vanilla scented stamped tealight candles inside it.

The pattern for the box is basically a nugget box that I altered the dimensions on slightly to accommodate the candles. I made the box using Papertrey's Aqua Mist cardstock and some Sticky Strip to hold it well. I have a template if anyone's interested in it--let me know.

I used the Rustic Snowflakes set to decorate the top of the box. I used Encore Silver ink for really shimmery flakes and mounted the stamped panel on an Aqua Mist panel, then a panel of Papertrey's new shimmery silver cardstock. I wrapped some coordinating ribbon around the box and attached a stamped and embellished tag.

The candles are also stamped. I used the larger version of the snowflake stamp that I used for the box top. One trick I discovered as I heated the tops of the candles with the stamped image--Encore inks will run a little when heated, so place the tissue paper with the stamped image facing down (touching the candle's surface) to minimize bleeding. Once the candles had cooled, I wrapped a piece of matching Aqua Mist twill around each one. What a pretty little gift set!

This was such a great idea for a challenge with the holidays coming up! For more great gift giving ideas, you can visit the other challenge participants. Links to their blogs are in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
Rustic Snowflakes stamp set, Aqua Mist Palette ink, Encore Silver ink, Aqua Mist, white, and shimmery silver cardstock, silver edged ribbon, Aqua Mist twill (Papertrey Ink); Sticky Strip, large and small tag punches, 1 3/8" circle punch, silver eyelet (Stampin' Up!); self-adhesive rhinestone (Michaels); tea lights, white tissue paper

22 comments:

  1. How cool, to make the nugget box into a candle gift gox - great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo lovely, Lori! Great colors too. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lori these are adorable...and so very creative. I've never thought of stamping on votive candles. Fabulous idea and an equally fabulous gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful gift Lori - thanks for the tip about the encore inks when stamping on the candles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to change the nugget box to a tea light box! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project and lovely gift!!! Thanks for the tips and I'll be emailing you to get the nugget pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cool -or should I say "warm" -gift. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I am always looking for a few gift ideas for secretaries and other non-teaching staff at school. Prepare to be cased!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is sooo cool! Love the idea and what a wonderful presentation! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so smart!!! Altering the nugget box and stamping on tealights!!! Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool idea, might have to pinch this one for Chrissy presents. Love the colours you chose.

    :) Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori! This gift is just gorgeous! The candles are beautiful; love the soft colors too! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute idea. I love the snowflakes on the candles (clever).

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so adorable! I've never tried stamping on candles before...it adds so much to those little votives! Great gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK Lori, for the challenged, you need to do a class.!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome trinket box. I love how you used the candles. Fab job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great alternative for the nugget boxes! Love how you stamped the candles too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great gift idea Lori! What lovely colors! You did a wonderful job with this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous idea to use candles. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips