Saturday, November 15, 2008

Catching Up with Paper Craft Planet

There’s a lot going on over at Paper Craft Planet. The weekly sketch challenges started last week (we’re officially on #2 starting today!) and a new color challenge group began this week, too. And, the design team's gratitude themed gallery grows each and every day.

Here’s my card for the color challenge. I found these colors a real challenge to work with—Riding Hood Red, Really Rust, Going Gray, and White. I decided to use just a tiny bit of rust to make the combo work for me. To squeeze it in, I stamped the outline image over each of the trio of flowers in Really Rust ink, just a little “off” from the flower so it would be visible.

I have tons of Bella Rose designer paper, so I used a piece here along the left side of the card. I added a gray scalloped strip on one edge and a piece of gathered gray taffeta ribbon, too. I attached the flower panel over this at an angle. The sentiment is stamped on a word window punch. I placed a brad at one end to break up all of the red. It’s set on the card straight, contrasting with the slanted panel.

Materials Used (all from Stampin' Up!):
Wonderful You and Fundamental Phrases stamp sets, Riding Hood Red, Really Rust, and Basic Gray Classic inks, Riding Hood Red, Basic Gray, and Whisper White cardstock, Bella Rose designer paper, word window punch, gray taffeta ribbon, silver brad, scallop edge punch, Dazzling Diamonds

And, here's my card for the brand new, just posted sketch challenge. The DT's been ooohing and aaahing over Wendy's sample all week! My version's pretty quick and simple. As soon as I saw the sketch, I knew I'd be using these sparkly snowflake die cuts I picked up recently. They worked perfectly with the new Snowflake Splendor set from Verve Stamps.

The sentiment, "snowflake splendor," is stamped in shimmery white cardstock using bold navy ink to match the cardfront. I added a few lighter blue snowflakes here and there. The panel is layered on a navy panel, then on a shiny silver panel cut from some paper I picked up at Target. It's a little lighter weight (and a lot less expensive) than the brushed silvers available from some stamp and paper companies, so it's perfect for layers on cards. I always feel so guilty when I use that nice stuff and cover a lot of it up!

I randomly stamped some of the snowflake images in silver on the navy cardfront, then assembled the pieces. I layered two of the pretty, sparkly die cut snowflakes and attached them to the sentiment panel.

Materials Used:
Snowflake Splendor (Verve Stamps); Brocade Blue Classic ink, Encore Silver ink, Night of Navy, Brocade Blue, and Shimmery White cardstock, glue dots (Stampin' Up!); Swiss Dot embossing folder (Cuttlebug); die cut snowflakes (Me & My Big Ideas); self-adhesive rhinestone (Michaels); silver paper (Target)

And, if you're still with me after all this, here's my final Paper Craft Planet project for the day (I promise!). This one's for the DT gallery. Like I said earlier, the gallery theme is gratitude. Since one of the things that I am thankful for is that I own my own home--even though being a home owner is not always an easy thing--I thought I'd create an altered/decorated wooden house.

It started as a Halloween haunted house I got on clearance at Michaels earlier in the week (for $1.70!). Yes, I got it just a few days ago and I actually used it instead of adding it to the ever growing piles stuff I intend to do something with--amazing, isn't it? I started by using my paper piercing tool to pry off the Halloween stuff (pumpkins, etc), then painted the roof and "grass"with acrylic paints, and covered the house with patterned paper.

I found the "home sweet home" sticker in the clearance section, too. I placed that across the front of the house. I embellished the surroundings with some felt self-adhesive leaves from Target's (last year) dollar spot and some Dew Drops to finish it off. I think this might make a nice centerpiece for the holidays. Be sure to stop by the DT gallery for other great ideas around this theme.

Materials Used:
wooden house, acrylic paints (Michaels); patterned paper (Deja Views-Small Polka Dots); word sticker (Me & My Big Ideas); Dew Drops (Kitchen Sink Stamps); Crystal Effects (Michaels); ric rac (May Arts); self adhesive felt leaves (Target)

8 comments:

  1. Great cards and love the little house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You did a great job with the card challenges and I love the house! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cute house.....and what fun to find it in clearance and change it's outlook on life! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love , love that house! Sooooo cute! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great projects you have done. I love the house. I enjoyed everything.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute!!! LOVE it. The house is too too adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cards are awesome! Great job! And that house is absolutely adorable! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been busy! Love that Snowflake Splendor card. That's the exact same idea I had when I saw the PCP sketch. I still haven't made mine, though, so I'll have to come up with a different twist. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips