Friday, November 14, 2008

Happy Owl-idays

Here's a quick card I made tonight using Beate's weekend sketch challenge. I knew right away that one of the cute little critters from the Hero Arts Jolly Christmas set I got from i {heart} papers would look just right in this layout. I was debating between the Jolly Christmas set and the funky Sassafras Lass Woodland Creatures set, but this cute owl won out. Something about the images in the Woodland Creatures set really appeals to me, so I may just try another card with this sketch using one of the woodland cuties.

I stamped the owl in brown ink on a scrap of cream cardstock and colored the image with Copic markers. I based the colors for the card on the colors in the patterned paper I used from Basic Grey's Wassail line. I like the wintery, holiday feel of the patterns in this paper line. I matched it with Always Artichoke, Mellow Moss, and Cranberry Crisp cardstock panels. I layered two different kinds of ribbon across the panel under the stamped image--double stitched cream velvet and brown faux suede. The textures on these ribbons are so nice!

I embellished the cardfront with a pair of snowflake brads. So they wouldn't be lost in the pattern, I set them on a pair of layered circles. I added another circle element to fit in the "happy holidays" sentiment.

I'm so glad it's finally Friday. After being away last weekend, I've felt "behind" all week long. I'm looking forward to some down time at home, just lazing around with Cosmo the crazy dog, over the next two days. For now, I'm off to work on the final touches for my card for next week's sketch challenge at Paper Craft Planet (DT members got a sneak peek earlier this week, so I'm taking advantage of the head start!). Stop by tomorrow to see my version of the sketch and some of my other stuff for the latest challenges on the Planet.

Materials Used:

from i {heart} papers: Hero Arts Jolly Christmas stamp set, Basic Grey's Wassail-Falling Snow, May Arts brown faux suede ribbon, Maya Road cream velvet double stitched ribbon

Other: Rich Cocoa ink (Memento); Always Artichoke, Mellow Moss, and Cranberry Crisp cardstock, 3/4", 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); cream cardstock (Papertrey Ink); 7/8" circle punch (EK Success); snowflake brads (Recollections)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Lori...this is adorable! Great job! I can't wait to see your card on Sunday...I struggled with it a little though. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! This is so darn cute! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just love that cute little owl! Adorable card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This little guy just makes me smile! He looks great paired with this fabulous paper (my favorite lately) and these colors. So adorable!

    Can't wait to see PCP sketch! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the owl and the DSP is great!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips